AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky to attend the Fixed Panel Seminar held by Jim Burns at the offices of Widescreen review. I first want to say that the home theater that they have there is incredible. Not only do they have the ability to watch video from a front projector, but they also set it up as a rear projector. From what I remember, they have a Runco CRT and the Sony G90 setup as part of the rear projection system and they had a double stacked Runco digital projectors set up as front projectors. The stacked Runcos look incredible. I really cant do it justice but the whole place was incredible from the huge Dunlevy speakers to Runco and FAroujda scalars. The most interesting thing they had was a speaker on the ceiling right over the money seat. Even the couches were extremely comfortable. Maybe a little too comfortable as I started dozing off during the seminar.

I was able to meet Cliff Plavin who used to calibrate Dilas for AVscience and also met Mark Hunter who I always wanted to meet and is is a very nice and helpful guy.

The seminar itself was very informative and we got some very good tips on calibrating a digital projector without the use of any equipment. Jim Burns is an excellent speaker, very funny guy and I enjoyed listening to him speak.

Gary from Widescreen was very gracious and let us watch some HD from the double stacked Runco on a ten foot wide Firehawk. We watched the Transporter (not a bad movie) off a JVC D-VHS machine. Incredible is all I can say. He also has that Odyssey motion setup in his theater and had promised to show it too us. Unfortunately, I had to leave, so I dont know if he ever turned that thing on or not.

The event was sponsored by Runco and Stewart so lunch was on them. Runco sent at least two guys down the the seminar. I think they were there to make sure we didnt eat to much (okay, I am just kidding)

In anycase, my 1 1/2 hour drive to Temecula from Los Angeles, was very worthwhile and I hope to apply what I learned to my own setup

·
Registered
729 Posts
I am glad that you found the seminar worthwhile. Having such a great room to present in made explaining how the room affects the picture easy. Widescreens entire staff was wonderful as hosts. We should do another one there in the future.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Any chance of an east coast seminar?

-Jon

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yes I will do Boston and or NY in June. I will have the dates soon

·
Registered
672 Posts
Daniel...I envy you.I would also love to see that room just for the Hell of it.

Jim/Daniel....

Daniel you made an extremely interesting comment in your post:"calibrating a digital projector without the use of test equipment". Without giving toooo much away could you or Jim comment on this if you can.Jim are you giving away secrets here..if so I can understand your reluctance to give it out.So how is this calibration done? Do you user anything electronic or is it much simpler as in maybe using specific scenes from DVDs....????

I was going to post something to this effect. Most of us here that have digital PJs..no matter what the technology, use, Avia...VE...Colorofacts or some similar product to tweek/calibrate our PJs using test signals.Well this is great however we don't watch test signals we watch movies.So after we are finished tweeking we always slap in a movie to "check/verify" what we just did and basically see how the movie/image "looks".Specific scenes are checked for color/contrast/brighness..etc.

So the question is..and anyone can respond...what scenes from DVDs to y'all use to verify the parameters we just spent so much time adjusting.It would be intersting to get a list of the DVDs and the specific scenes.To this very day there are still tons of post on how to adjust contrast and if anything it gets even more confusing to get it just right.

As an example and I can't take credit for it. To check for a good contrast adjustment I use the original release of the 5th Element right at the intro when we see the Columbia/Tri-Star logos of the horse with its spread out wings and blue background.If the the contrast is set too high you will lose the shadow detail in the outspread wings.The blue background has darker shades of blue tristar logos in a checker board pattern..if the contrast is set too high you won't see the squares only a blue background.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rosano

this is great however we don't watch test signals we watch movies
I agree.

I do have a couple of movie scenes that I use. Most of the class revolves around two test patterns, SMPTE color bars and a 10 step horizontal gray scale.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
"A roller coaster ride of a seminar. Two thumbs way up."

- Mark Hunter

"The seminar was better than a Bob Marley concert in his home continent of Africa. Respect."

- Ali G

"I didn't understand anything in the seminar but the all-you-can-eat lunch was great."

Marlon Brando

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Mark,

The Ali G comment hit the spot. Thanks for the laugh.

-Jon

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
[/hypnotized monotone]

It was better than Cats.

I'd see it again and again.

[hypnotized monotone]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.