AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When comparing a RP display ( DLP or LCoS etc) apples to apples except screen size, wouldn't the smaller screen look sharper?

It just seems that if you have the same number of pixels in a smaller space that it HAS to be a better picture.

I have never had the chance to see the same set in different sizes next to each other. It seems they carry one size as a display.

I remember that this was the case with direct view CRT's, though a different technology.

Any thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Depends on viewing distance. At the same distance, you are right the smaller one would look shaper, but only if you are so close as to be able to discren the difference in the larger screen. At some distance, you will no longer be able to tell the diference. Which means that the bigger screen will look the same as the smaller one when viewed from a greater distance. This it is important to match the viewing distance to the screen. Too large a screen at a particular viewing distance will not look as good as a smaller one.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
CobraKahn's answer makes perfect sense. You select your screen size based on your viewing distance. Smaller screen sizes, especially in the fixed-pixel, projection-based technologies, tend to be brighter and sharper. However, if you have enough pixels then it should be harder and harder to pick this out. The 57" Toshiba LCoS, for example, has pixels so tight and small that they are difficult to see except from 1 foot from the screen. You can see pixels on DLP from a few feet out. However, in both cases you shouldn't be able to see any discrete pixels if you are sitting at a proper viewing distance.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Don't forget to factor in the screen itself into this argument.

You probably wouldn't be able to discern the individual pixel

structure no matter how close you were unless the set's

screen had an ultra fine pitch. I don't know what the specs

are of the screen on Samsung's DLPs; I do know the Toshiba

LCoS has a .098mm pitch, which was hyped as one of the

finest screens available at the time of the TV's release.

The finer the screen the sharper the pic.

The original post of this thread would be true if each pixel

was perfectly resolved onto a screen with an infinitely fine pitch

(or projected directly onto your retinas ;) ), but there's more

to be factored into this equation in a real world application.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tboo
Surprisingly the 50 inch Hitachi LCD RPTV has a .52mm pitch
This still works out to about 2000x1250 pixels, so it really doesn't limit the resolution.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oxothuk
This still works out to about 2000x1250 pixels, so it really doesn't limit the resolution.
Ok, well there ya go.

My comment above is meaningless.

Another example of the power of math revealing life's little truths. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.