AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm building a 20' x 15' dedicated theater in my home. The house is very contemporary. There will be no windows, so ambient light should not be an issue. I am looking for a curved, ~140" diagonal, cinescope screen that can handle 4K (eventually) and 3D. I originally wanted an AT screen, but now I'm not sure if I have enough room length with the seating arrangement I've chosen. The AV guy that I'm working with has suggested a Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge screen because (a) it has a very clean, contemporary look, (b) he feels the color and definition are second to none, (c) the lighting kit would look great in our space, and (d) it's a bargain compared to Stewart screens. All of that may be true, and I do like the look of the screen. However, I think that screen was designed for rooms with ambient light, which I won't have to worry about. It also seems very expensive.

What alternatives should I be looking at?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'd strongly recommend an acoustically transparent screen if you can make it work.

IMHO its the only way to place speakers where they need to be.

You need room to construct a rigid baffle wall-something like the image below.

And a minimum of 12" from the face of the speaker to the back of the screen is recommended.

I'd only go curved if you are going to use an anamorphic lens to hide the pincushion distortion.

For applications using lens memory a flat screen would be a better choice.

Just received some Seymour/Screen Excellence sample surfaces and they are very similar to my Screen Research material.

I really like the Enlightor 4K-just keep in mind that it has a negative gain of .98.

If you are going to use lens memory on a desirable size screen I don't think a JVC 500R will have enough light for a satisfying image.

Seymour could provide you with more guidance.

Not my photo, did a quick search on Google.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts