AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a decision point in the design of my home theater. I am trying to decide between a fixed screen and roll down screen. I have a high end stereo system and I am trying to decide if I should put both in one room. If I do I need to use a roll down screen. To me picture quality is the most important factor. If a fixed screen is better than a roll down screen I will make it a dedicated room for home theater only. If there is no difference I will combine the two and put the stereo behind the roll down screen.

So is the picture quality equal between the 2 types of screens. Cost is not an issue Thanks

Arnie

·
Registered
89 Posts
In my opinion, there is no difference between the two as long as you get a tab tensioned roller screen. I personally prefer the look of a fixed frame screen in a dedicated theater, but roller in a multi purpose room. Things to keep in mind however is do you plan on doing Cinemascope (2.35 or 2.40:1) and if so, will you doing a curved screen. To my knowledge there is no curved screens on a roller system (someone please correct me if I am wrong). As far as placing your speakers behind the screen, I prefer Microperoration as opposed to woven screens purely for the image quality. I cannot stand the look of woven screens.

So my advice, go with a fixed screen, perf over woven, consider doing a Cinemascope setup, and you will have covered most of your bases. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes, tab tensioned is the way to go if you get a roll down. I am looking at an Elite CineTension screen. I had also considered because it might look a little more clean, but I wanted the front of the screen to be flush with the front of my speakers, so I will eventually buy a motorized roll down screen.

Basically, you will have to read many reviews on each type as well as demo some if you can find a showroom in your area.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
As mentioned, I will also add that IF you go roll down, manual or motorized, get a tensioned screen or you will most likely see/get waves and kick yourself later.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The Dalite High Power is pretty stable without tension because it it a very heavy material. They don't even offer ti with tension while they do for their other materials.

I have an electric unit and see no waves at all.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I'm an advocate of fixed screens. I do not think any roll-down--even a tensioned one--can compete with a fixed screen for image presentation. I also do not think speakers behind an AT screen can sound as good as speakers outside a fixed screen. Just my two cents. I realize I will get lots of disagreement here.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I was leaning to a fixed mount screen because I have large floor standing speakers already that I would put on the sides of the screen. Another question about 2.35 or 2.40 size screen. I also want to watch football games on the screen which are broadcast at 16 to 9. What screen ratio would be better?

One last question for now. What is the advantage of a curved cinemascope screen over a flat one?

Thanks for your help

Arnie

·
Registered
131 Posts
You should consider if the max height is your limiting factor or your max width is your limiting factor. For me, it is width because of the way my theater room is built, but also because I don't want my speakers any farther apart than they currently are.

If I wanted a max width of 92", then with a 16:9 screen, I can get the following

for a 16:9 picture

diagonal 106"

width 92"

height 52"

On that same screen, a 2.35:1 picture would be:

diagonal 100"

width 92"

height 39"

with a 2.35:1 screen, I can get the following

for a 2.35:1 picture:

diagonal 100"

width 92"

height 39"

On that same screen, a 16:9 picture would be:

diagonal 79"

width 69"

height 39"

From this comparison, I will probably choose a 16:9 screen, that way, I can get more overall benefit. However, some people have short ceilings, and height will be their limiting factor, not width, so they could get a wider picture with constant height.

I am sure there are many other forums that discuss the pros and cons of constant height or constant width though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks,

Room size is not limiting. I have a 19' wide by 26' long with 9.5' height. I was thinking 120" width screen so what size would I need for 16X9 and be most efficient for all the various aspect ratios?

Also What is the advantage of a curved screen over flat?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts