AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am cross posting this message with the Screens forum because I think answers can come from both areas, so please pardon me.

Anybody out here have a fixed screen in a multi-purpose room setup? I am about to start work on my basement for home theater. Even though I have the space for a dedicated theater I want to go the other route and have a multi-purpose room. Where the problem comes up is the decision as to

go with a fixed screen or a manual/electric pull down screen.

Has anybody else been up this path – please tell of what aspects swayed your decision one way or the other.

· Registered
322 Posts
I have a fixed 100" 16:9 screen in a multipurpose room. Room is 30 by 18, is also used as an office by my wife and I and when we are there, a play area for our two kids. I elected a fixed screen for three reasons. First, I hate the look of pull downs. Second, I mounted mine on a wall unit that had a hole from a big screen TV, so a fixed made the most sense aesthetically. Third, I tend to watch it quite a bit and when I turn on my system, don't like waiting.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
1,759 Posts
I went the pull down route. Built shelving in the wall for TV , components and books. Mounted the pull down screen in front of it. Works out really well for my purposes.

Jon

· Registered
2,099 Posts
I have a 16:9 Firehawk fixed and a 4:3 hi-Power pull down. The fixed screen is perfectly flat while the pull down has some waves in it. The main reason for the pull down is so I can get a bigger 4:3 image for surfing internet, playing games, etc.

· Registered
34 Posts
I went with the 4:3 pulldown for a couple reasons.

First, I can pull it down only as far a necessary, eg 16:9 for movies and

4:3 for watching TV or using the computer.

Second, I can pull it out of the way when my son is down there playing,

or my buddies come over and we use the room for player poker. Both

situations present some danger to the screen, so it is nice to be able to

get it out of the way.

· Registered
628 Posts
I have a dedicated room with a fixed 16:9. If I were to do it again, Id go with a good pull down (electric) with tensioning.

Reason being, it would be nice to have a plasma or something on the front wall for that easy click on click off viewing of the usual mundane material. Stuff like the news or reruns of sitcoms. Something thats real easy for the wife to work.

I do have the ability to watch tv on the big screen, but when you blow up a tv signal (Direct tv) to 92" it looks pretty crappy. Garbage in, garbage out.

Waiting for the pj to warm up. Even though its DLP the bulb takes a few minutes. Also, turning a pj on and off a bunch of times each night takes its toll on the bulb.

So I find that I dont use the room as much as I would like because of these reasons. Its just easier to come home from work and plop into my chair in the family room and click on the ol SONY 32" for CNN or whatever.

In fact Im even thinking of redoing the front with a plasma and a Stewart electric screen. I can pull it off without moving the pj (no zoom) if I use the plasma and have the new screen hug the wall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.