AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am cross posting this message with the Home Theater Builder forum because I think answers can come from both areas, so please pardon me.

Anybody out here have a fixed screen in a multi-purpose room setup? I am about to start work on my basement for home theater. Even though I have the space for a dedicated theater I want to go the other route and have a multi-purpose room. Where the problem comes up is the decision as to

go with a fixed screen or a manual/electric pull down screen.

Has anybody else been up this path – please tell of what aspects swayed your decision one way or the other.

· Registered
9,766 Posts
This thread has pictures of my fixed screen in a multi purpose room

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=239117

I went with a fixed screen cause after years of a pull down I realized I only pulled it down once and that was it. The expensive casing was ugly and just added unnecessary cost to the screen so I went to a fixed screen that is ALWAYS flat. IMHO a huge improvement. Also I tend to like the tensionable screen materials more.

With a little ingenuity people can build some amazing set ups. Mine allows me to change screen materials at will. another nice feature.

· Registered
88 Posts
I just put a theater in the main room in my house, but wanted to be unobtrusive, plus I had no place for a fixed screen due to the room being mostly windows, so I was suck with a drop screen. I also wanted to be able to use my existing rear projection during the day. I built a wood box that the electric drop comes out of that kinda looks like a support beam. It doesnt scream THEATER when you walk in which is what I was looking for. It blends in fairly well when not in use.

Lets see if these photos work.

· Registered
9,766 Posts
beautiful work flyt100!

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flyt100,

very nice indeed. I really want to move my 61 inch RPTV from the sitting room upstairs into this multi-purpose room in the basement. Then I'll have the screen come down in front of it just like what you've got.

What make and size screen is that?

Tryg,

Nice screen as well but what happens when there are kids running around - you know the visitors kids that don't behave?

· Registered
184 Posts
Very nice job! Looking at doing something similar myself in the next few weeks.

The screen looks semi-transparent, is it acoustically transparent for the center located on top of the RPTV? Do you prefer this to an alternative location for the center?

· Registered
88 Posts
The screen is a Da-lite High tensioned cosmopolitan in Contrast Cinema perf (gain 1.1). It's the High contrast cinema vision with holes identical to the audio vision. 166'' X 65'' (133'' diag) with an HS10 shining on it (with a CC30R or CC40R filter, can't decide which one yet). I had an extra foot of drop added. The rear projection is a 60'' (standard def, 5 years old) to give you an idea of size.

As for kids, I'm still single, hence the home theater.

Yes, the center is on top of the RPTV. The only other option is sitting on the floor, which wouldn't look good, and is way too low sound wise. It's basically dead center in the screen now, and the imaging is great. I highly recommend it. There is a a slight moire pattern that goes away with slight defocussing. I also have an EQ for the center to compensate for the change in sound (actually I got my hands on an EQ Stewart ships with their perf screens for free).

I've got some pictures of the building process to give you an idea of the construction if you wish.

· Registered
725 Posts
I am guessing the RPTV gets a little less usage with the new acquisition...but it supports the center channel very nicely!:D

· Registered
9,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tolahouse

Tryg,

Nice screen as well but what happens when there are kids running around - you know the visitors kids that don't behave?
You can get a lot of compliance if you bribe them with beer. If that doesn't work...torture.

· Registered
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flyt100
I've got some pictures of the building process to give you an idea of the construction if you wish.
Very nice pics, now you've got me thinking about something similar. I'd love to see the pictures on the building process for ideas.

So how's the tensioned screen, does it perform as well as a perm. mounted screen in preventing wrinkles, waves and such?

· Registered
88 Posts
No, they aren't Vandersteens (although my next pair may be). They are Polks from 14 years ago or so (god I'm getting old). Still love 'em.

Attached are a few photos of the building process

1.\t2X10 anchored to the vaulted ceiling with lag bolts. It was cut so the front and back are vertical. The screen was hung with eye bolts, and those chain links that you can open up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.