AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids had a big Wii party over the holidays and managed to scratch one of the controllers red plastic 'window' on the front of the remotes. Of course now the cursor doesn't respond like it should. Anyone know of a way to replace this piece of plastic? Assuming of course that I can find this piece of plastic for less then the $35 a new remote would cost...

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Best bet would be to contact Nintendo about repair/replacement - although I doubt this falls under a warranty fix. But could still set you back less than a new Wiimote (although most GameStop/EB Games stores have used Wiimotes all the time for a little less).

·
Registered
144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 /forum/post/15464178

Best bet would be to contact Nintendo about repair/replacement - although I doubt this falls under a warranty fix. But could still set you back less than a new Wiimote (although most GameStop/EB Games stores have used Wiimotes all the time for a little less).

Just tell them the wrist strap failed and the scratch was as a result of it flying through your $2000 HDTV. They'll send you a new one.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartooth /forum/post/15464778

Just tell them the wrist strap failed and the scratch was as a result of it flying through your $2000 HDTV. They'll send you a new one.

A new Wiimote - not the TV!

That may be the best advice for you! Seriously! Nintendo takes the wrist strap stuff very seriously.

·
Registered
775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonee /forum/post/15464145

My kids had a big Wii party over the holidays and managed to scratch one of the controllers red plastic 'window' on the front of the remotes. Of course now the cursor doesn't respond like it should. Anyone know of a way to replace this piece of plastic? Assuming of course that I can find this piece of plastic for less then the $35 a new remote would cost...

If all else fails you could try some plastic polish like Novus #2. I have used that stuff on my pinball machine plastics and it leaves a smooth glassy finish if the scratch isn't too bad. It's great for shining up dull headlights too =)

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=113

·
Registered
49 Posts
1. Ask the big "N" to replace the poor wiimote altogether . . . heck they might just do it!

2. You could just go buy a new one if you could even find one in stores right now and they're $40! Ouch!

3. I'd just remove the scratched window altogether. Open the battery compartment and remove the four screws that keep the two outter halves of the wiimote as one. A bit of prying (I prefer the butter knife method) should a produce a wiimote split in twain. I wouldn't worry about ruining your wiimote . . . it doesn't work right now anyways right¿ Your scratched reddish window that keeps dust off the sensor should now slide out. Reassemble the wiimote taking care to keep all the buttons in place and replace the screws and you're in business. It should now work as designed. You may have to clean some dust off the sensor from time to time but it's cheaper than a new wiimote!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it sounds like I should ping Nintendo to start with...what could it hurt? No's are free!

As far as the plastic cover, I didn't know if the cover had any effect on the signal being sent...if it doesn't then, yeah...I'll take that thing off!

Thanks for the advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts