AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i've read the few threads regarding fixing screen waves/rinkles with putting tape here and there yadda yadda. Considering it's the same thing and temporary I tried to place sheets of short paper at the peak of the v between the roller and screen by pulling down the screen, sticking the piece of paper there, and letting it roll back up to the normal suspended height. It creates other smaller waves (I have the normal v-shaped wave which runs down the entire length of the screen). I tried multiple pieces forming lengths up to 4 feet, varying the thickness according to new formed wave vertices, etc. and I did not achieve results I want. I want the damn thing flat and that's the end of it.

I'm to the point now where i'm either going to cut the screen material off the roller and create my own fixed frame screen or i'm going to continue to try to get what I have to work.

In my setup the screen stays down all the time so I don't need it to roll back up. I'm considering taking pieces of light wood around 7.5 feet long (I have a 106" 16:9 screen so my long dimension is about 92") and fastening them to the back of the screen at about 6 inch spacing. I'd fasten them via some form of adhesive. The way I see it if I do this properly it should eliminate the waves/rinkles by making the screen completely flat across the wood running the long dimension of the screen. I don't think 6" would be enough space between each lateral run to allow any rinkles or sag. Is this a good idea and if so what adhesive would you recommend? I'm in the brainstorming phase right now and would really like to address this problem. I'm tired of waves and distortion during panning seens of a movie/program etc.

If this is a horrible idea please speak up I can take the criticism.

If this is not a good idea i'm all ears on suggestions of removing the screen from the roller and creating my own frame. Because this screen is larger than a typical sheet of plywood/osb/mdf etc. I'm guessing I would have to come up with a frame of some sort. shooting on the wall is not an option given I have my wires behind the screen. Thanks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guessing by the lack of replies this is a bad idea?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
i think a wood frame would a bad idea. your not going to find "straight" wood unless you spend $$$. and over the years, the wood will shrink. but saying this, there is a chance you could do a good enough job.

look in the diy room. there is inexpensive counter top material that is larger than 4x8' that you could glue the screen to.

glue. idk. something that doesn't dry to fast. then let it dry for several days.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm considering mounting some grommets in the black border along the edges of my Model-C so that I can run some cord or string through them. Then I'll attach the cords to the wall in some fashion to apply lateral tension and stretch out the wrinkles that way.

Blato

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Ok, here is an off the wall idea, stick it to the wall! Make sure the mounting wall is nice and flat. Mask off the section of the wall you're going to put the screen on and spray it with this . You can use the re-positionable feature of the adhesive to work out the wrinkles. Then make a black velvet covered wooden frame to make it look pretty.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm about to take the plunge an buy a dalite cosmo electra screen and I am worried as all hell that I will not be happy due to wrinkles etc.. I am going with Matte White on a 12" screen.

Love to know your thoughts on why your screen has waves

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickory /forum/post/18186039

I'm about to take the plunge an buy a dalite cosmo electra screen and I am worried as all hell that I will not be happy due to wrinkles etc.. I am going with Matte White on a 12" screen.

Love to know your thoughts on why your screen has waves

The roller his a we bit of sag to it in the center not having as much tension on the center of the screen as the sides. That's my thinking based off what i've read here and a bit of sense.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam /forum/post/18183336

Ok, here is an off the wall idea, stick it to the wall! Make sure the mounting wall is nice and flat. Mask off the section of the wall you're going to put the screen on and spray it with this . You can use the re-positionable feature of the adhesive to work out the wrinkles. Then make a black velvet covered wooden frame to make it look pretty.

I'd have to run my wires differently then i have now which is why I said I wasn't in to projecting the imagine on the wll. Thanks though.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator /forum/post/18180402

i think a wood frame would a bad idea. your not going to find "straight" wood unless you spend $$$. and over the years, the wood will shrink. but saying this, there is a chance you could do a good enough job.

look in the diy room. there is inexpensive counter top material that is larger than 4x8' that you could glue the screen to.

glue. idk. something that doesn't dry to fast. then let it dry for several days.

Awseomen! Thanks and I'll look into the counter top material!!!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
no problem.

i had planned to do that with my 119" high power. but so far, i am happy with the manual.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Get some long pieces of MDF instead of regular wood. This is what I plan on using if my wall texture is to rough to remove. In another thread the poster stapled his screen to the wall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts