AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 36 inch sony wega tv and lately it has been showing a lot of magnetic interference. The corners turn blue or green and the color of the whole screen changes. It lasts for a few minutes, then goes away completely for like 10 minutes before returning. A similar thing also happens to all the computer screens in my apartment.

My building mgmt tells me that it is interference from the subway trains (I live in new york), but I am hesitant to believe him since I lived here for over 18 months before the problem suddenly appeared and I live 8 floors above street level. I don't really care about the computer screens (they have degauss buttons) but its got to be hurting my TV.

I've called some local AV/HT shops and they all suggest really expensive solutions (like coating my apartment in mu-metal) to block the field.

Has anyone else dealt with interference like this? Or does anyone know if a subway train can really produce enough interference to harm a TV 8 floors above ground? Or why it wouldn't start happening for 18 months?

thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
You might try purchasing and experimenting with a cheap gauss meter to try to locate the source of the emi. I recall a network installation that I did many years ago where the client had huge problems with one monitor "doing the hula dance" all day long. We eventually traced it to an overhead power service line, but never took it so far as to force the utility company to fix the line into the building. The short term fix was to change the monitor refresh rate to one that didn't interact with the 60 hz emi signal. The long term fix, following such a band aid, was chemo for everyone who worked in that office. (No, not really. That company closed down a few years later when the owner retired.)

In any case, I found a cheap gauss meter here:

http://www.bau-biologieusa.com/drgaussmeter.html

Let us know how you deal with this, as I'll bet that you're not alone with such problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.