AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been enjoying HD for a while, but I sometimes get frustrated in not having a way to calibrate my RPTV's HD mode.

I'd like to reduce overscan to an acceptable 3 to 4% on my TW40X81. I'm guessing it's more than 5% now having performed geometry/convergence using the HD grid measurements in the Service Manual.

The other thing is that the image isn't properly centered on screen (HPOS & VPOS). Maybe the different networks are to blame because how each broadcasts is inconsistent.

Too bad we don't have an Avia calibration disc type product for HD. How are you guys calibrating the HD mode on your RPTVs?

------------------

Surf on to ... THE BEST FILMS & HOME THEATER

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Two possibilities ... at least. I use an HD signal generator overscan pattern to adjust my set.

I have also used the HTPC route with AVIA upscaled to 1080i.

REgards

------------------

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Michael, but both those options are out of my means right now.

I did find a crude way to adjust HPOS & VPOS. The former using upconverted 4x3 image with black bars on the sides. The latter using a 2.35:1 image with black bars on the top & bottom.

Still no way to adjust/reduce overscan...any other ideas?

[This message has been edited by Brajesh (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I assume you have AVIA or VE? If not, go no purther. Someone posted a way to do it with your dvd player and vcr. I performed this a few months ago and it works great for geometry only.

Run a std. rca video cable out from the DVD to the input of your VCR. Take the rg59/rg6 out from your VCR and plug it into your HD reciever antenna input. Make sure your tuned to the proper channel (L1?) and the vcr is on. Go to your HD TV inpur and you should see an upconverted image of Avia/VE from the DVD player. Adjust the overscan, position etc as normal. Works great. Again, you can't do any color adjustments, just geometry. Turns our I only had to shift my image to the right a few ticks. Otherwise, the Mits was right on.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I, too, have been frustrated with the wildly variable picture sizes from HD sources and overscan. I did order the Toshiba 1080i convergence overlay for my TW56x81, but that will still give me about 5% overscan. Has anyone checked the geometry settings in the designer menu to see if the 1080i settings are separate from Full or TW1? Or course, without an associated test pattern, it would make things difficult. Remember way back when when broadcasters put up test patterns during the nighttime and early morning hours, before stations began broadcasting 24/7? Perhaps someone should invest in "The HD Test channel" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

For HD positioning, I use the Adjust feature on the Dish 6000 receiver to move the HD image around. I've been able to get it fairly close by eye just by using non-HD source material upconverted through the Colorstream inputs. You get that nice little box of a picture, then black all the way around. I've used that to adjust the position of my HD picture. I'm pretty certain it's "centered", but since the aspect ratio of much of what I get through HD locals as well as HBO and Showtime is often screwy, I know I'm losing a chunk of picture both top, bottom, and sides.

In order to sleep at night, I have to chalk it up to "new technology" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by Randy Boecker (edited 05-30-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.