AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My set has had a particular problem since I bought it. Whenever there is programming coming from my Toshiba DST3000 HD/Direct TV STB that contains bright flashes of light or anything sharp and disturbing (like a quick cut) the TV loses sync and goes black for like 3 seconds then comes back. It usually only happens with HD programming. Luckily I was able to get a Sony guy in to replace what Sony has found to cause the problem (a capacitor issue on the A board).

So now that problem is fixed....however. Now the TV has flagging and flickering going on on all channels (I am assuming this problem is from the new capcitor or technicians sloppy installation). Most of it is happenning along the top half inch of the screen and whenever there are solid colors in the programming especially blue, there is a flicker...almost like when watching a dvd on your computer and the whole picture has a faint flicker about it. The flagging almost looks like bending on the top one inch of the screen. Anyway the Sony guy is trying to get an answer from Sony technical support but has nothing yet.

Worst thing is I have Robert McJimsey coming in on the 19th to calibrate my set. Should I even pay him to do that if this Sony Technician is gonna open up my set again to hopefully fix this flickering problem. You all know how hard it is to make calibration reservations so this would kill me if I had to cancel!!

I am thinking this new capacitor can't handle the power needed to reproduce HD programming and some normal programming without flicker or flagging....any help?

------------------

Kent Oberlin www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

[This message has been edited by koberlin1 (edited 06-08-2001).]

·
Registered
425 Posts
Kent - You didn't say what kind of display device you have. If it's a Sony (direct view?)you may want to postpone that ISF calibration until you are satisfied that your flickering problem has been eliminated -- and then wait a while longer before you have it ISF calibrated. If your problem is not resolvable, and the set has to be replaced, you won't have blown the ISF calibration fee on a set you had to return...I think Bob would give you the same advice...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am currently having the same picture loss problem during 1080 mode. My TV already has an updated "A Board" in it. My set was produced in Nov 2000. Sony came out and replaced it with another board, but it still looses the picture during bright flashes. They are now going to replace the set. I have a sony KP61HS10 and a Mitsubishi SAT. Sony knows that there is a flaw with these sets. Hopefully the new one will work! Does anyone else have this problem, and is there a different fix for this?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DeanS,

It is a Sony 65xBR10w. I am having a new board put in this Friday with the latest updates so hopefully all will be fixed. Bob is coming Tuesday and if the set works he's comin in!

Cadbrad,

Wow, I wonder if a new set will fix it?! Seems like a quick way for Sony to get around something they don't know how to fix. Well cool, if we ain't payin we shouldn

't argue

------------------

Kent Oberlin
www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

·
Registered
830 Posts

I wouldn't bet that a new set will fix it. I saw the "blacking" problem on 3 different XBR10W sets on showroom floors while I was shopping for my HDTV. In fact, seeing this problem was so prevelent was the reason I eliminated that model from my short list of models under consideration.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said. The "blacking" problem was fixed with this small new capacitor replacing the factory capacitor on the A board. The new problem is the flickering and flagging. The new A board will come with the new capacitor and I am more worried to see if the set will still have its flickering and flagging problems. My feeling is that maybe the technician who installed the capacitor on my set did a sloppy job or maybe he got a bad capacitor.

------------------

Kent Oberlin
www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.