AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
And the studios would like their theatrical releases to profit from the Oscars first. FLAGS has underperformed at the boxoffice, LETTERS is a platform release, and they were both released late in the year...so the home video releases will be later...post-Oscars.

THE DEPARTED was released in early October, but has grossed well over $100 million domestically, so they are only too pleased to release it on video in mid-February, which will give this ancillary release a shot in the arm considering the expected Oscar nods.

Eric

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...fair enough, I've just come to expect Day-and-Date with these flicks...

I thought I was imagining things when I saw the Warner logo on the Iwo Jima screening, but that when I looked at the FOOF (silly acronym) release I saw Paramount was handling the HV release (Dreamworks, I assume? I could IMBD, but, well... heh). I have seen the latter and not the former, and was looking forward to HD goodness at the end of this month pre-Oscar. Alas, I might have to watch SD first...

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'd get both of these for sure, but we had BETTER get a Letters release day and date... incredible movie, head and shoulders better than Flags.

·
Registered
513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 /forum/post/0

So these are two completely seperate movies correct? I was under the assumption that FooF was Iwo Jima from the American POV, and LFIJ was the Japanese. Is this the case?

95% Correct

Jorge

·
Registered
29,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 /forum/post/0

So these are two completely seperate movies correct? I was under the assumption that FooF was Iwo Jima from the American POV, and LFIJ was the Japanese. Is this the case?

They are separate movies about the same topic. You are correct that Flags of Our Fathers tells the story of the battle from the American perspective and Letters from Iwo Jima tells it from the Japanese perspective.

·
Registered
701 Posts
While they do cover the same event from two different perspectives, none of the cast of Flags is featured in Iwo Jima - even the central event that Flags centers around is only seen in 1 fleeting shot in Iwo Jima. They are companion pieces, but there is little to no actual overlap in them.

·
Registered
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rein /forum/post/0

From the sound of this thread, it looks like it would be wise to watch Flags of our Fathers first, then Letters. Correct? A save the "best" for last night?

I would say that would be a good idea.

But I CAN'T WAIT for these movies to come out. I love war movies and BD has been keeping those to them self thanks to Fox and Sony. At least we have We Were Soldiers.

I have not seen either moive but can't wait to watch them in HD!

·
Banned
3,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcarter /forum/post/0

THE DEPARTED was released in early October, but has grossed well over $100 million domestically, so they are only too pleased to release it on video in mid-February, which will give this ancillary release a shot in the arm considering the expected Oscar nods.

Eric

And, of course, WB is jacking up the theatre totals for THE DEPARTED from 100 to 1450 this Friday to capitalize on the Oscar nominations... it'll be good promotion for the upcoming vid release, too...

Eric

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I think Flags would be great to see in HD.

Letters from Iwo, I'm not so sure about. It looks like the colors and other things have been muted to give it a classic feel posibly like Superman Returns. I don't know what thats going to do to the PQ on HD.

It was an amazing movie one way or another.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1963 /forum/post/0

Paramount indicated at CES that FLAGS will be released on Hi Def this year. Since both films are Dreamworks/Warner Collaborations maybe they are waiting for LETTERS to release a box set.

But isn't Flags being released by Warner studio and Letters by Paramount?

I can't see a box set for that reason along.

·
Registered
941 Posts

peteran said:
But isn't Flags being released by Warner studio and Letters by Paramount?

I can't see a box set for that reason along.[/QUOTE

Both are co-productions

FLAGS was distributed by Paramount (Dreamworks) in the U.S. and Warner overseas. LETTERS by Warner in U.S. and Paramount (DW) overseas.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.