AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to pick this up as an early rental today at the Redmond, WA Blockbuster. For those in the area that are interested, the BD was still available - I rented the HD version because of the DD+. I'll post my impressions of the disc a little later. Just wanted to give anyone interested a heads-up.

Ye-San

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Just rented it from BB in Mississauga Canada. What display are you watching it on. I find this does make a diff in what people see

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm watching it on an A2 with FW1.5 on a Mitsu 52631 via HDMI. I would say that video is Tier 1 and the DD+ sounded pretty solid as well through my Onkyo 604. I was only able to watch about 15 minutes, but did notice that ALL the extras on the back of the case showed that they were in HD on Disc 2 of the set. Paramount's two-disc efforts have been pretty impressive thus-far with their HD extras. Let's just hope they continue the trend with their HD distribution of Dreamworks films.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I would place video on Tier 2 or 3. I wathced it on a 106" screen using XA2. Detail average and sound about the same. Compared to other films, this had no pop. Quite disappointed. Put on Private Ryan DTS SD to remind me what a kick a-- sound track sounded like. I can't wait for it to come out on HD with a full bitrate DTS soundtrack!

PS. display is pro calibrated. Any Tier 1 so far has looked stunning.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jayray,

I'll take your word for it, since you're running equipment that's a lot better than mine. I didn't really notice anything that would push it down to Tier 3, but I'll take a look with a more scrutinizing eye this weekend.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Yesan,

I consider Tier 1 to be eye popping with colours, detail etc. and this disc lacked or was mediocre at both. This is not unusual for a war film. They tend to be quite dull in colour and this film was no diff. Let me know what you think

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/0

Will the HD DVD sound better since it does have the DD+ or will they still sound about the same?

They'll sound the same, Flags doesn't have great audio to begin with.

But Letters is a whole other story, talk about realistic sound. Everything Just sounds accurate. The pic also has plenty of detail and it's razor sharp.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray /forum/post/0

Yesan,

I consider Tier 1 to be eye popping with colours, detail etc. and this disc lacked or was mediocre at both. This is not unusual for a war film. They tend to be quite dull in colour and this film was no diff. Let me know what you think

I watched a little more of it, and still think that it looks pretty good to me. I would still put it in Tier 1, but agree with you that the colors did not pop and are fairly muted. I did not catch this one in the theaters, but would think that this would be in line with Eastwood's vision and intentions. Sharpness and clarity seem to be up to snuff, as is evident in scenes that display smoke (explosions and cigarette/cigar smoke).

While the soundtrack lacks the low-end oomph of Saving Private Ryan, I still think that it does a good job where it needs to, with aggressive surround channels in the battle scenes and distinct channel separation to immerse you in the action.

There is actually a separate thread in the HDTV Software Media Discussion board comparing the VC-1 and AVC encodes of the HD-DVD and the BD. Links to reviews in that thread will give a detailed account of what's included on Disc 2 of the set:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=844294

I still haven't had the chance to finish the film yet but would not hesitate to purchase if I end up enjoying it as a whole.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.