AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Pioneer series I don't see any way to manually set the format of a recording betwen 4:3 and 16:9. I've noticed that playing back video that was sent in 16:9 through the component outs of my HDTV and record plays back in what seems to be 16:9 but I can't be sure. It may be squashed 16:9 recorded into 4:3 format. This may explain why playback seems to always put my TV into 4:3 mode and why I need to change the aspect ratio to "full" or "justify" which will place the material using the 16:9.

The manual of my Panny HDTV (PT-50LCX54) says that digital material will be downconverted to NTSC but doesn't say anything about whether it will squeeze it into 4:3. I'm curious to know what your experiences are.

I'll say this much... even if this materials is stretched from HDTV, picture is very good for a non-HDTV recorder and comparing it to even the best S-VHS I've seen is laughable. I'll be getting another cable box tomorrow and getting rid of the cable card (unfortunately) since it's one or the others. I wish you could send an out of a cable box into the "in" of the cable card.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kelson. I wonder whether the Toshiba XS34 flags 16:9 correctly as I see that it does have a manual set for the aspect ratio. I'd hate to lose the actual widescreen resolution although it appears that the 16:9 is recorded anamorphically. The Pioneer manual implies that 16:9 sources are recorded properly yet I'm experiencing what Panasonic owners are.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've mentioned this in other threads here: The Pioneer recorders have no setting for recording 16:9 or 4:3. They automatically recognize the source and record it properly (at least via S-video and Firewire which I've tested). There is a big "however" and that is whether the S-video output from your cable box is 16:9 or if it is letterbox 4:3. My Comcast/Motorola 6412's S-video output is letterbox 4:3 so there is no way I can export a 16:9 video from the cable box to the Pioneer recorder.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I remember the 520H would put the first recording on a DVD in the same format as the source, then subsequent recordings would keep that same format.

So you can't mix, only on HD. Not sure if that's the same as 531H but you can check the DVD with ifoedit on your PC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.