AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 46 inch Samsung LCD tv, the LN46A850 on Amazon.

The picture is amazing and I'm very pleased with it so far except for one issue. I have these faint, white blobs (I think called flash lighting?) in several places on the screen, especially the corners. Its like a faint white area. Its not that noticeable and is only visible when the input to the tv is off or when the scene in the movie, show, etc. is very dark.

When we first got the tv, it was so bad that I had a tech come out and actually replace the entire lcd panel inside with a new one (which I thought was amazing they could even do that at your home). At the time, he said that it definitely shouldn't have been like that and upon taking the lcd panel out, we saw that it was bent quite severely. The replacement looks much better but there's still some slight white light coming through the black in the corners. The tech told me that you will see some white light coming through, especially at the corners due to the fluorescent illumination technology....a drawback of this system/design. I was quite skeptical about his explanation so I was looking for some confirmation or other user experience. I have two 24 inch Dell LCD monitors on my workstation and see no similar artifacts.

Anyway to eliminate this problem? I don't want to have another tech come out and swap out the panel again if its something that can't be avoided.

Kris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump...anyone? I know I can't be the only one with this problem. I've seen similar threads mention this issue but I'm looking for a deeper explanation of this problem.

·
Registered
392 Posts
what firmware do you have?

If you have firmware 1004 bring it down to 1003 and it should improve.

All lcds have at least a little clouding and the bigger the screen is the more chances are that you'll get some clouding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks phantom for the reply. How do I change firmware? Never did anything like that to a tv before :) Does changing the firmware alter anything else I should be concerned about? Can I go back to the latest firmware if necessary? What does this problem exist for large LCDs like this but not smaller ones like my Dell monitors?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think its a lot to do with the size of the panels,the bigger you go,the more flex etc.

I also think that some of it is down to the over tightening of the bezel screws when they assemble the tv at the factory,pressing the panel too hard in some areas,and causing larger screens to "bend" slightly.

I have two LCD's ,one a 32inch,which has no clouding ,and not even a hint of flashlighting.

The other is a 52inch,and that had to have a replacement panel too,for really bad clouding and blacklight bleeding through.

He is correct in saying its an issue with LCD technology,but there is a limit as to what you can live with or are prepared to accept quality wise.

My replacement panel was a near perfect one,so I have been lucky I think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the first one was severely bent...you could really see it. This is pretty much ok, except for some flash lighting but for the money, it should be solid and clean I think. I dont see how firmware fixes could fix this issue as it seems more physical than digital. I may look into yet another replacement but it seems to be hit or miss so I don't know if its even worth the hassle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a flashlight problem on my LN40A530 and got it exchanged today and this one seems better.. almost with no flashlighting.. to my knowledge.. all panels will have some degree of clouding or corner flashlighting..

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgen2 /forum/post/15759221

I have firmware version 1004.0 for ln46a850. How do I go back to 1003? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
[email protected]

firmware probably wont help you at all.

anyway, this has been a huge problem for me. got a 40a650, replaced it due to flashlights, and the next one had it so i ended up having to return it. about a year later, i got a 46a650, had flashlights (but i wouldnt have complained if id have known i would get an even worse one), and the replacement panel is even worse. so tomorrow im returning it for good.

i wish i didnt have to, but until something affordable comes out w/o these issues, i probably just wont buy anything.
i just guess i am unlucky.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test123455 /forum/post/15759893

firmware probably wont help you at all.

anyway, this has been a huge problem for me. got a 40a650, replaced it due to flashlights, and the next one had it so i ended up having to return it. about a year later, i got a 46a650, had flashlights (but i wouldnt have complained if id have known i would get an even worse one), and the replacement panel is even worse. so tomorrow im returning it for good.

i wish i didnt have to, but until something affordable comes out w/o these issues, i probably just wont buy anything.
i just guess i am unlucky.

Buy a Plasma?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGamingGod /forum/post/15760260

Buy a Plasma?

heh, im considering it, but apparently they have all sorts of other problems. i hear LED models arent supposed to have these problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts