AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I purchased a new 60 inch led samsung. I quickly noticed 3 nickel sized areas of increased brightness. I tried using different inputs, turning the backlighting off, playing a bluray, my xbox 360, and the spots remained in the exact same spot. It seems to be more noticeable with lighter colored backgrounds, DRIVES ME CRAZY! Contacted Samsung and the said it was flash lighting and would resolve on it's own in approximately 2 weeks. This doesn't seem likely but they said if it does not they would repair it free of charge. Has anyone else had this problem, will it really spontaneously resolve? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Model number un60c6400

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA3321
Yes, I actually did tons of research BEFORE buying and found 0 information that would have for-warned me of this issue. Thank you for your input.
I see that you are also posting in the official thread for this "series" of Samsungs. Earlier in the thread, there are some serious discussions on screen uniformity issues.

I also found the following two examples on other web sites:

1. "The reviews on this TV are mostly positive but there are a handful of people who really have issues with edge lit LED technology and now I am one of them. Even after calibrating the TV the flashlighting and clouding was unbearable (LED light leakage, especially in the corners). I also experienced some issues with frames skipping now and then (I had a C panel not a SQ panel). I returned this TV and picked up a UN55C6800 which also has edge lit LEDs but with precision dimming. I tell you, this really makes a difference because all the issues I had previously were resolved in the UN55C6800 - definitely worth the added premium."

2. "Check avsforum: many users, including myself, are a bit unhappy about what may be called flashlighting, or clouding. What may be an inherent problem with thin, edge-lit LCD's in general (worse as they get larger), the backlight is not of consistent brightness across the entire display. When the screen goes completely black, there is a sort of X pattern on the screen, which is slightly lighter than the rest, across the entire panel. It's only noticeable when fully black, or on credits, as far as I can tell right now. Overall it may be a reasonable tradeoff to have a thin screen, but one any buyer should be aware of up front, especially when they are not inexpensive.

I also don't think the ambient light controls for backlighting work well enough. I have a lot of light in my room during the daytime, and I have to manually adjust the backlight up during the day, and back down at night. Apparently the auto setting is just too limited."

These are just two reviews that I was easily able to find. Overall, it seems to be a fine TV. I'm sorry you are having problems with yours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only difference in my case is that the bright spots are only noticeable when there is a bright scene. During the darker scenes it is not noticeable at all. This does not seem to be a traditional flash lighting problem. When the screen is completely black they are completely unnoticeable. I would not be asking these questions if it where the traditional back lighting issues I have read about on the forums.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA3321
The only difference in my case is that the bright spots are only noticeable when there is a bright scene. During the darker scenes it is not noticeable at all. This does not seem to be a traditional flash lighting problem. When the screen is completely black they are completely unnoticeable. I would not be asking these questions if it where the traditional back lighting issues I have read about on the forums.
Hmmm, never heard of that problem. As topr says, post pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.