AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, first off great site.

i have just booted up my brand new 1909 with all my connections for the first time today.

turned on my verizon box and had sound out of the speakers, got the room all quiet and decided to do the auto setup. manual says to set it to 7.1...even though i have 5.1........heard the tones out of the front left, center, front right, surround right, then it said surround rear (which i dont have but figured it would just see i dont have it) and heared a loud click and the receiver powered off. after reading the manual/searching online, it seems something is fried.

with NOTHING connected to the rear of the receiver it will power on, then click off and flash red about 2 times per second. i called the store i bought it from and they said they will do an even exchange.

now my main concern is how to make sure this doesnt happen again. is one of the rear wires crossed? is there a test i can perform prior to installing the wires to the receiver? how come it worked fine until i decided to do the auto setup?

thanks for the help guys.

Steve

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowcone /forum/post/15456970

hey guys, first off great site.

i have just booted up my brand new 1909 with all my connections for the first time today.

turned on my verizon box and had sound out of the speakers, got the room all quiet and decided to do the auto setup. manual says to set it to 7.1...even though i have 5.1........heard the tones out of the front left, center, front right, surround right, then it said surround rear (which i dont have but figured it would just see i dont have it) and heared a loud click and the receiver powered off. after reading the manual/searching online, it seems something is fried.

with NOTHING connected to the rear of the receiver it will power on, then click off and flash red about 2 times per second. i called the store i bought it from and they said they will do an even exchange.

now my main concern is how to make sure this doesnt happen again. is one of the rear wires crossed? is there a test i can perform prior to installing the wires to the receiver? how come it worked fine until i decided to do the auto setup?

thanks for the help guys.

Steve

Check (and if needed first remove) all the speaker wires changes are they are touching something. The red ring can indicate either overheating (doubtfull in this case), speaker load problems or a short in the wires.

Daniel.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowcone /forum/post/15457074

my wires are in wall...i used speaker wire that was in wall rated.

Still remove all the speaker cables and see if it boots up ok without the red ring. If it stays up something is wrong with one of more cables.

Daniel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so with everything disconnected it still had the ring, brought it back and they replaced it on the spot. now i have a new receiver in the box.

i borred a friends old kenwood 2 channel receiver and hooked up just the rears sine thats where the test went wrong and they have been playing for about 20 minutes now with no shorting or anything.

should i hook up the new denon and hope for the best? was it possible it was just a bad one?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I would hook up the new one and try it. I went to a small av store yesterday and BB magnolia to audition some speakers. Used the Denon 1909 at both places. The one at the AV store worked great, but the one at BB magnolia was having problems. The sound worked for about 10 seconds then it flashed red twice and dropped the sound. I think I remember reading something in the owners thread about it being a relatively common problem. If the new one you get works, be happy and keep it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
set up the new receiver and works no prob.....guess i got a dud....made the store throw in a 1 year replacement warrenty for 30 bucks!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I had that happen too. Right after I ran Audyssey I went to turn it on and I heard the loud click and got the red ring. Scared the hell outta me in a dead silent apartment at 3am! I have had it all hooked up for months prior, too. I noticed one of my speaker wires was touching my sub power cord, both cords were still covered by their sleeves however. I moved the speaker wire and it started back up fine, and has been fine since. Coincidence? Perhaps... I had no idea.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Well on most models red ring singals :

1 ) speaker wires touching something they should not

2 ) internal overheating, shutting down to protect

3 ) something is wrong, bring in for service.

Guess you had the last one, good luck with the new one.

I had the same thing happen to me a last week on a denon poa a1hd amp, shared the hell out of me since its 137lbs but it turned out to be option 1.

Daniel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts