AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·



I keep seeing so many posts about flashlighting and clouding. I was just wondering how many have called the manufacturer and what was done about it. Do they repair or just say thats the nature of lcd technology.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Yeah, i am wondering the same thing. My Samsung TV has some flashlighting/clouding in the two upper corners and i am trying really hard to just ignore it but it's bugging the hell out of me. Espcially when i'm watching Blu-Ray movies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVersatile /forum/post/15522206


Yeah, i am wondering the same thing. My Samsung TV has some flashlighting/clouding in the two upper corners and i am trying really hard to just ignore it but it's bugging the hell out of me. Espcially when i'm watching Blu-Ray movies.

put me in this camp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I had clouding and flashlighting on my Samsung 52" 650. I sent them picks and they sent out a tech with a new panel. The new panel had both flashlighting and clouding, so they sent out yet another panel, and bingo! It looks good now. Nothing noticeable to me, and I am pretty critical with it. I also use Energy Saver on low, but it isn't needed to make the clouding go away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa-dvd /forum/post/15522609


I had clouding and flashlighting on my Samsung 52" 650. I sent them picks and they sent out a tech with a new panel. The new panel had both flashlighting and clouding, so they sent out yet another panel, and bingo! It looks good now. Nothing noticeable to me, and I am pretty critical with it. I also use Energy Saver on low, but it isn't needed to make the clouding go away.

So they can actually do something about it? Interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa-dvd /forum/post/15522609


I had clouding and flashlighting on my Samsung 52" 650. I sent them picks and they sent out a tech with a new panel.

What email addy do you have to send pics to to get that done?


I'm buying a Sammy for my mom very soon, and want to be prepared just in case anything's amiss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I just went to the Samsung website where I had registered the tv. There is an online chat that I did with a customer service rep. He said that there should not be any color differences on a totally black screen. He then set up a ticket and contacted a local tech center that installed the new panel, they did not replace the whole tv. That night I noticed that the new panel was worse than the first and went back to the same ticket number. They were more hesitant the second time, until I emailed the customer service rep some pictures. They again sent out a new panel and it was replaced. Hope that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa-dvd /forum/post/15530695


I just went to the Samsung website where I had registered the tv. There is an online chat that I did with a customer service rep. He said that there should not be any color differences on a totally black screen. He then set up a ticket and contacted a local tech center that installed the new panel, they did not replace the whole tv. That night I noticed that the new panel was worse than the first and went back to the same ticket number. They were more hesitant the second time, until I emailed the customer service rep some pictures. They again sent out a new panel and it was replaced. Hope that helps.

Okay, i guess i will do this. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Just wanted to bump this up instead of creating another thread.

Anyway, here's a pic of my bedroom set (LG 20LS7D):


As you can see, there's lighter areas top, bottom and both sides. It didn't used to bother me, but now it does. I guess my new Sony LCD spoiled me...
No flashlighting on that set.

I'm out of the manufacturers warranty but I bought an extended warranty from Best Buy, so I'm still covered.

So is this generally covered?


TIA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I went through two Samsungs in a row, both with flashlighting and clouding -- awful panels.


I planned to continue returning them over and over (good ol' Future Shop and their great return policy) until I got a perfect set, but for the third I decided to try a Sharp, and I couldn't be happier. May not have the deep black levels of a Samsung, but no clouding/flashlighting/banding/whatever, at all. Perfectly uniform panel.


IMO, Samsung's current practice of putting outsourced, inferior panels in their televisions is shady as hell, and they've definitely lost a customer here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_matter /forum/post/16144854


I went through two Samsungs in a row, both with flashlighting and clouding -- awful panels.


I planned to continue returning them over and over (good ol' Future Shop and their great return policy) until I got a perfect set, but for the third I decided to try a Sharp, and I couldn't be happier. May not have the deep black levels of a Samsung, but no clouding/flashlighting/banding/whatever, at all. Perfectly uniform panel.


IMO, Samsung's current practice of putting outsourced, inferior panels in their televisions is shady as hell, and they've definitely lost a customer here.


its not the actual LCD panel at fault for these issues, its the backlight light distribution panel design and/or their methods of manufacture of the complete LCD unit into the TV


basically with CCFL back lights if you ever have taken one apart like I have you would see that the LCD panel itself is pretty transparent and there is a plastic plate that goes directly behind it that is white in the background and has white lined patterns on the front to evenly distribute the light across the LCD itself, if this panel is not kept up against the LCD completely across the whole screen you will see what is known as flash lighting and clouding quite a few people have said they have fixed their problems by slightly loosening the tv's cabinet screws in certain places and at least one person has been brave enough to "massage" their panel carefully and got it to go away. both methods make perfect sense as to why they work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
I guess what I'm asking is: Is 'flashlighting' considered a manufacturer defect? Can I walk into BB and tell them to fix my set?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L /forum/post/16146119


I guess what I'm asking is: Is 'flashlighting' considered a manufacturer defect? Can I walk into BB and tell them to fix my set?

try it. maybe they will surprise us all and say yes .




TVbc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
"I guess what I'm asking is: Is 'flashlighting' considered a manufacturer defect? Can I walk into BB and tell them to fix my set?"



o ya... of course it's a manufacturer defect. You didn't cause it. Pretty much the only things that aren't a "manufacturer defect" should be power surge and abuse ( hitting it etc )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc /forum/post/16147217


try it. maybe they will surprise us all and say yes .




TVbc


Tell me about it.

I'm gonna call them tomorrow and see what they say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vultureyo /forum/post/16147305


"I guess what I'm asking is: Is 'flashlighting' considered a manufacturer defect? Can I walk into BB and tell them to fix my set?"



o ya... of course it's a manufacturer defect. You didn't cause it. Pretty much the only things that aren't a "manufacturer defect" should be power surge and abuse ( hitting it etc )

I agree 100%.

The only reason I'm asking is, sometimes, just because something makes logical, common sense, doesn't make it 'true'. Especially when dealing with corporations like Best Buy.

I know it's a defect, I just don't want to hear (from BB): Nope, that's just the way LCDs work. Tough luck, see ya later.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,022 Posts
Sorry to bring this back up but I recently purchased a Sony KDL-52V5100 and have flashlighting and clouding issues.

I have owned 3 HDTV LCD's(19-42") and none have had this issue.

My desktop LCD's at home and work also do not have these issues.


It seems lately, this issue appears to be occuring or detected more often.

Perhaps because people are now more educated on how to detect this issue?


Is the public to accept flashlighting and clouding as a "normal" occurrence on HDTV LCD panels?


I'm hesitent to get a replacement as it might be worse if this is considered to be a normal issue.


*Not my TV but it has a very simular flashlighting/clouding pattern.


Quote:
From Sony


Sony cares deeply about the overall picture quality of our televisions in all viewing conditions and light settings. Sony's Bravia LCD line of televisions, which are among the brightest and most color rich televisions in the world, reflects our commitment to these high standards. To achieve this level of performance Sony utilizes a very bright backlight output and setting. With this exceptional brightness, under certain dark viewing conditions, especially blank screens with no video source, the screen may exhibit a slightly uneven uniformity. This condition is not usually visible under typical TV watching conditions such as movies or general television programming and should not affect your viewing experience. However, should you find that this condition does affect your enjoyment, there are a few settings that you can make to minimize this condition:


Setup Menu ' Light Sensor: ON

Setup Menu ' Power Saving: Low or High

Picture Menu ' Reduce the Backlight Level (Factory Setting: 10)

Combination of the above changes
SOURCE


.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
i just bought my samsung un46b8000 like a week ago and it has flashlighting but now im gonna return it and just wait for the 8500 and see how that goes.. but before i bought my 8000 i had the xbr9 and it had no flashlighting or cloudiness or dark corners issues..
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top