AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, let it be known that I only have SPDIF connection on my computer. Nothing else, everything must go through it or I don't get sound.

I have had this frustrating problem in my system where the sound randomly stops working for no reason; even running mplayer -ac hwac3 on a Dolby 5.1 dvd fails, because it says device is busy, but I could never figure out what it was, I would think you could use lsof /dev/snd but it never worked. Anyway I have finally narrowed it down to what I believe to be flashplugin, which seems to steal the audio whenever you use youtube, etc. even if its another user logged in on another terminal. The only way to get sound again in anything else is to kill all firefox's, even those on different terminals.

This is great now because I can have sound again, but I the only solution I could come up with is giving my wife a big button that runs 'sudo killall firefox' in a terminal, for when she wants to listen to pandora and I have a firefox open on my account. This is not very elegant. Is there any way to fix this?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts