AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This show premiered this evening. Whats interesting is that it is set in the city of Toronto, and is actually a Canadian production, under CTV. Follows the events that unfold for an emergency police unit in Toronto.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_habs2004 /forum/post/14271875

This show premiered this evening. Whats interesting is that it is set in the city of Toronto, and is actually a Canadian production, under CTV. Follows the events that unfold for an emergency police unit in Toronto.

Cool I did not know that. I dvred the program already but this info raises my expectations a little. Have to watch Stargate Atlantis first though

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don't know. i watched the show.

I don't feel any more connected to any of the characters than I did in the beginning. They didn't seem to develop any characters.

I'll give it another show.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I kinda liked it. A bit more emo than any cop show I have seen before. But seeing Veronica Mars father made me miss VM...

·
Registered
104 Posts
well I thought it was pretty good. Ill tune in next week to see the next episode, but like most shows, I cant have a take on it till a few episodes in. They didnt do much in major character development, but i do have questions about certain characters after the 1st episode. Ill be waiting for episode 2

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I liked it though it's still too soon to guess whether it will keep my attention. But I'm somewhat a fan of Enrico Colantoni (Veronica Mars dad) and he fits the part rather well.

So maybe this could work.

- Tom

·
Registered
803 Posts
It was an odd choice for a first episode. If they spend the ENTIRE show dealing with one guy after making a clean shoot (and I question how authentic the post-shoot procedure was) then there is no way this show is gonna have any kind of body count. They have clearly set the precendent that shooting someone is a major event with severe emotional repercussions and a long beaurocratic tail. At this rate if these guys raid a meth house and shoot a few folks, the entire team will spend the rest of the season in therapy and driving desks.

So rather than an action cop show, this looks more to be a drama about folks who happen to be cops. The entire time my wife was waiting to see who Amy J.J. was banging, as she flirts shamelessly with everyone and no writer can ever pass up that tired cliche.

Anyway, I'll give it a few more eps to see if anything interesting happens.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
I watched the first 2 episodes and they were OK. The first 2 each showed a point in time (a Flashpoint?) during the crisis at the beginning of the episode, and the flashed-back to a few hours prior to that time and proceded. That ALONE will get old fast for me. I'll keep watching, as there's not much else on nowadays, but I don't see this staying around too long unless it changes formulas a bit ..

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
It has potential. I watched the second episode. It's decently shot, not as visually appealing as Numb3rs, but that's a hard show to be lined up next to for visual style.

It was a little heavy of a tug on the heart strings, and I'm pretty sure the hospital hostage situation story was told before in a film with Denzel Washington.

It sure as hell beat watching reruns of Law & Order.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I liked the first episode better than the second, but I think it doesn't have a good potential to be a great show. I think it would take them having the right events and they need to tell us more about the cast. They haven't done much imo so far in that area.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yeah, the second ep didn't wow me much either. I can't really put my finger on it. None of the performances are bad, but something just doesn't sit right. Everyone just seems, I dunno, -smug- for lack of a better word. There is no edginess, no confusion, no panic. And the moments that are hectic, like the heart carrier showing up, are filmed so sloppily the cops just seem incompetent. How did the dad SHOOT a cop and not get smoked?

Mr. Iraq War would certainly be on his way out. I don't see how he could disobey a direct order on his first gig, resulting in a fellow officer getting shot, and still stay with the unit.

Anyway, it has until FX starts their tidal wave of shows (anyone think that tag line "Outside the Box" is a direct challenge to HBO?). Hopefully the writers will discover sublety and tension. It still feels like a melodrama hammered into a cop show.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Nah. I couldn't finish the second one. I guess it's off my schedule now. It just didn't seem to be going anywhere.

- Tom

·
Registered
14,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_habs2004 /forum/post/14271875

I kind of like this show. I thought it was far better than Standoff which had similar themes. I also liked the fact they spent half a show doing the follow up after an officer involved shooting because you don't see that done in such detail usually.

What is pissing me off about this show is that the producers seem so scared that US viewers will notice that it's shot in Canada that they are trying everything to avoid giving away any signs. The buildings are shot from off the ground, license plates are blurred, major landmarks are tiny and quickly off screen, no mention of the city on uniforms, flags or in words, neutral accents ...

The only evidence they can't hide is the maple leaf uniform insignias, but you would have to be paying attention and have a big HD screen to catch those.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/14356603

The only evidence they can't hide is the maple leaf uniform insignias, but you would have to be paying attention and have a big HD screen to catch those.

Hah ... that's the first thing I noticed.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts