AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm painting my sheetrocked ceiling and soffits flat black.

I've searched this forum and haven't found a consciences on which brand of flat black paint is the best.

Some issues would be :

Coverage per gallon (number of coats to get a good finish)

Depth of "Blackness" or "richness" of look (even though it's flat)

reflectiveness

etc.,

Cost is not an issue. Just curious and looking for some input on different brand names and how happy you are with the results.

It would be nice if you could throw in where it was bought (Lowe's, HD, Ace, or a Specialty Paint Store)

Thanks.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If you go to Lowes, and ask the paint people to make you BLACK, they'll do that. The one I used was American Traditions or whatever. Make sure you tell them to just put the black dye, and not go off any swatches if you want pure black.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm a fan of Benjamin Moore paints. They have a truly scrubable flat paint base that they refer to as their matte finish. I used it for both the red walls and black screenwalls and ceiling in my HT, and I am very pleased with it. For the most part, the black covered in one coat over grey primed drywall.

I bought the paint at a local paint store (not the paint department in a larger store, but a REAL paint store).

Good luck,

Dwight

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I agree with Dwight - the dark primer I used was a Zinsser product - almost a charcoal gray.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Imdok
I'm painting my sheetrocked ceiling and soffits flat black.

I've searched this forum and haven't found a consciences on which brand of flat black paint is the best.

Some issues would be :

Coverage per gallon (number of coats to get a good finish)

Depth of "Blackness" or "richness" of look (even though it's flat)

reflectiveness

etc.,

Cost is not an issue. Just curious and looking for some input on different brand names and how happy you are with the results.

It would be nice if you could throw in where it was bought (Lowe's, HD, Ace, or a Specialty Paint Store)

Thanks.
Benjamin Moore flat black Twilight Zone is very nice. With the lights off, screen seems to float in the darkness. Somewhat reflective with the lights on, but I haven't seen better in a paint. I'd recommend five coats over a dark grey primer to ensure good coverage.

I use it behind my screen wall as the screen wall uses GOM and a lot of light is able to slip through the GOM and I don't want it reflecting out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used the new Ace Sensations (?) paint after attempting to get the results I wanted with two other paints.

The first paint I tried was a basic (cheap) flat black from a mega-store. It looked great but if *anything* touched it, there were marks left behind.

Next I tried American Traditions satin from Lowes but it was far too reflective and I couldn't stand it even though it was much more durable.

So I tried the new Ace paint which I think contains Scotch-guard. I love it! I can wipe it with a wet sponge for clean-up without leaving any marks behind and it is not reflective at all. Plus, it's only about $20 a gallon.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm a fan of Sherwin Williams myself.

It's the only paint I will use now. I have used lots of other paints, and I think Sherwin Williams gives me the best coverage. I can do 2 coats in rooms that took 3-4 with Home Depot/Glidden paint.

Of course, that's my opinion. I could be wrong ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"consciences"?.. Where the heck did that come from (original post)?

Well, It was fairly late.

So the "consensus" is ...there is no consensus as to which paint to use.

It's all subjective. Which sounds about right, considering personal tastes.

I appreciate all responses as it gives me some material from which to start.

Maybe I'll buy three of the paints mentioned (quarts) and just see which

one looks best to me and then go from there.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffleonard
I'm a fan of Sherwin Williams myself.

It's the only paint I will use now. I have used lots of other paints, and I think Sherwin Williams gives me the best coverage. I can do 2 coats in rooms that took 3-4 with Home Depot/Glidden paint.

Of course, that's my opinion. I could be wrong ;)

I agree. I was actually able to paint my ceiling with 1 coat of Sherwin Williams flat black.

Stew

·
Registered
342 Posts
1 Vote for Behr! Had Home Depot mix me up a batch of the flattest black they could...came out gteat...black as my screen fabric!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I did 2 coats of Behr's flat enamel (it's a washable flat) over a primer that was lightly tinted gray. I could have gotten away with just one coat, but when I did some touchups, they were REALLY noticable so I had no choice but to do one more.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KevinRS
Stew....

What line of Sherwin Williams did you use for the black ceilings.

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin,

I'm out of town and don't remember, but I'll look when I get home tonight.

By the way, I don't want to start another Behr haters thread, but people that paint on a regular basis refuse to use it. To put it in HT terms, most painters consider it the Bose of paints (I was an interior painter for 2 years).

Stew

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would suggest Conco paint ( www.concopaints.com ) They have a pre mixed flat black for about 10 bucks a gallon. I used to have flat black mixed at the paint counter but since I tried Conco I have never looked back. We also use it to prime rooms when painting darker colors like burgundy and hunter green, etc.

Not sure where you're located but in the midwest Menards carries it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just finished using Sherwin-Williams flat black for all of my trim. It was their Everclean flat latex in Tricorn Black. On the Sherwin-Willimas paint chips you will find a reflectivity number. This color was a 2 out of 100 - with 99 being a bright white (a never found a 100 or a 1). The main problem is that anytime you rub against you will get a mark. But the paint washes very well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
BY the way it nearly covered in one coat over a grey primer. I easily could have just used one coat - but I was painting in bright light which showed some areas where it was just okay - with normal theater lights you can't see anything on the surface.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom_Kini
It was their Everclean flat latex in Tricorn Black.

I believe that is what I used as well.

Stew

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.