AVS Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
It’s a b-stock directly from PSA. It has a 5 year warranty. However my Yamaha receiver doesn’t play nice with it, which is resulting in little to no output so it’s going back. I’m considering getting dual Kuda from DIYSG when they’re ready to ship out. Likely dual 15” as dual 18” would be overkill for an apartment. Or maybe a single 18” for now.

I’m worried I’ll have the same receiver output issues with another sub.
Try one of these. I've never used one but read many a member mention that it fixed the problem you're having.
ART Cleanbox Pro

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
So some amps Aren’t compatible? Strange.
I had no idea you could just buy flat packs so don’t gotta cut the wood for a sub .
Are amps expensive for passive sub ? Do flats have speaker inputs ? ☕
Are gluing them easy ?
Some AVRs don't have enough voltage output for some amps. You can "get there" though by something like the device I linked to above.

There's a few online places I know of that have flatpacks. DIY Sound Group, GSG Audio, and Parts Express. I'd bet there's more (I just don't know of them).
The amps can get pricey. I've been using Behringer amps (NU6000D). There's a few models and you can get them for under $500. (I think I paid around $350ea for both of mine). There are quite a few different manufacturers though that people here use for sub amps.

They have speaker inputs but you might have to drill the holes yourself for whatever terminal setup you want (posts, terminal cup, etc.).

They are super easy to glue together.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It’s a b-stock directly from PSA. It has a 5 year warranty. However my Yamaha receiver doesn’t play nice with it, which is resulting in little to no output so it’s going back. I’m considering getting dual Kuda from DIYSG when they’re ready to ship out. Likely dual 15” as dual 18” would be overkill for an apartment. Or maybe a single 18” for now.

I’m worried I’ll have the same receiver output issues with another sub.
What model Yamaha receiver? I had issues with my old Yamaha RS-V3800 receiver paired with a Yamaha NS-SW300 subwoofer. Turned out to be the RCA cable I was using for the LFE connection. Replaced it, and it was fine. I've since replaced the receiver with a Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200 combo, and replaced the sub with a pair of SVS PC-4000's, because I have a much larger room than what I started with and that old sub just wasn't enough for it.

One thing I've noticed with the Yamaha's, is the YPAO room correction likes to reduce the gain on subs. Check your settings, the sub output may have a negative gain set. I usually go and set the subs back to 0db on the receiver setup after running YPAO, and adjust the gain to my liking on the sub itself.

The PSA you bought is a powered sub with a built-in plate amp. If you do the DIYSG Kuda's, you're going to need an amp to power whatever driver you use in it. Your receiver will not power them. If the problem is the connection between your receiver and the amp powering the sub, or the settings on the receiver, you will have the same issue no matter what subs you use.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What model Yamaha receiver? I had issues with my old Yamaha RS-V3800 receiver paired with a Yamaha NS-SW300 subwoofer. Turned out to be the RCA cable I was using for the LFE connection. Replaced it, and it was fine. I've since replaced the receiver with a Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200 combo, and replaced the sub with a pair of SVS PC-4000's, because I have a much larger room than what I started with and that old sub just wasn't enough for it.

One thing I've noticed with the Yamaha's, is the YPAO room correction likes to reduce the gain on subs. Check your settings, the sub output may have a negative gain set. I usually go and set the subs back to 0db on the receiver setup after running YPAO, and adjust the gain to my liking on the sub itself.

The PSA you bought is a powered sub with a built-in plate amp. If you do the DIYSG Kuda's, you're going to need an amp to power whatever driver you use in it. Your receiver will not power them. If the problem is the connection between your receiver and the amp powering the sub, or the settings on the receiver, you will have the same issue no matter what subs you use.
It’s a TSR-700, bought it like 2 months ago. It worked with my PC-2000 Pro that I returned the day I receiver this. I know they’re external and I’d need an external amp. I’d get an inuke 3000 or 6000 and mini dsp.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If you are interested in Martycube build I have detailed instructions and videos.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
I’m debating between Martycube and Kuda 18” (if and when it’s available). I tried a sealed PSA 18 at my friends house and really like it as I’m more after chest thump and tactile feel than super low frequencies.

Could just run dual 18”’sealed too. It’s hard to choose.

I’m likely going to stick to one sub for now and see how I like the DIY process first.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts