AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on wiring for flat panels in a number of rooms in my new house. In several rooms they will be mounted above fireplaces. Also I plan to have flat panels in each of the bedrooms. In both cases is their a recommended height of the centerline of the flat panel off the floor for each of these scenarios?

Thx

Bryan

·
Registered
48 Posts
from what i've read, whatever height is comfortable to you.

I mount mine (when not over a fireplace) so that when in a seated/rested position, my eyes are level with the lower 1/3 of the screen and my viewing angles are always extremely comfortable

·
Registered
136 Posts
When I've setup flat panels for friends or myself, I always aim for my eye being at 1/3 up the screen (from the bottom). Above fireplaces, this doesn't work, so I ask the person to sit in their chair, as they would watch the movie, and see if aI can get a comfortable angle, then have them looking again 1/3, and then match the angle on the back of the mount to the angle they are looking up at.

I've been in so many houses where people are like "look at my flat screen" and it's horribly uncomfortable to watch, and some times they're watching SD!

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you're straining your neck to watch your TV, then it's too high. Unless you've got room to move back in the room, most over-fireplace TVs end up being expensive picture frames.

I put a 65" tv 8' above a fireplace (8' to the Bottom of the TV!) for a customer a couple months back ... I backed up into the next room 25 feet away and, standing up, I was still straining. I don't know what they're going to do when they put a couch 10 feet away from the fireplace ... at that point trying to watch it will require looking up at a 45 degree angle.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For over the firepace, I am thinking about shooting for the bottom of the display to be 5' to 6' above the floor. I really can't go much lower than that. I expect the TV above the fireplace in the hearth room will get a significant amount of use. For the great room I need to locate where I will place the wiring, but I expect I wll have a picture over mantle. The wiring is for the future, if I want it.

Bryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts