AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a new house and are hopeful to move in by Oct. 1st. A new twist came up though when the wife thought it would be nice to put the TV above the fire place to free up floor space, which does make sence. The only problem is that I can't hang out Hitachi 57" rear projection above the fire place

So now we need to find a flat panel. I really don't know a thing about them and haven't followed them at all, so any brands and models would be great. Also don't know it we should go Plasma or LCD.

Like mensioned this will be above a wood burning fire place, it will be about 20" from the fire place to the TV with a mantel inbetween. The TV will be recessed 4" into the wall.

1) mainly used for HDTV(Dishnet) we have a dedicated Theater Room for movies.

2) Want 1080p 24hz capable

3) 4 HDMI inputs (Sat, X-Box, DVD, Network player)

4) Clear smooth picture (Nascar)

Guess that is all I can think of right now, thanks for any input. I attached a picture of what are setup will be also.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I strongly suggest you do research on the issue of mounting above a fireplace. Use the forum search feature. Heat can kill these sets real quick. The fact that you are recessing the TV into the wall makes cooling tougher. Plasmas produce more heat than LCDs. Coolest (in more than one way) are the new LED models starting to arrive now from a variety of manufacturers.

Other than that, all HDTVs these days are at least 60hz, many 120 and a few even 240. All larger ones that would fit your room are 1080p. 4 HDMI inputs is now normal, but check. Stick with the brand names. Browse the stores and when you see one you and/or the wife like, look up the owner's thread on this forum for that model and see what their experience is.

If money is a factor, choose the outgoing model rather than the latest. They are discounted and bugs have been worked out. Image quality should be very similar.

good luck

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/16954305

Yeah, but u will have to crank up your necks to watch. Hope this works out.

I hear what you are saying about heat and looing up. I have already brought up the fact that you have to look up to the wife but she wants to try it. We can always put it somewhere else and hang a picture instead

I did search the forums on the heat issue and really came up with mixed opinions on it being a problem or not. The fire place is not something that is a main source of heat and will not be used a great deal.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Viewing angle may be a factor in this setup. Plasma has the best off angle picture quality. If you're going to be looking at the set straight on, either one would likely work.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
And think of it this way, u know why they put a telescope out in space, on top of clear mountains, so they bypass most of the atmospheric interference with the picture. Now think of the warm air produced by the fireplace, rising up RIGHT IN FROM OF YOUR TV! in between u and the perfect picture.

We men are all function. Women, how the room looks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yea, you might want to provide free neck braces to your company when they come over to watch a movie.

I would go with LCD because plasma is more sensitive period. The samsung 52b750 would be nice. LED local dimming would be too thick except for the new samsung b8500 coming out soon which would give you the best picture. Other people would recommend the b6000 but edge lit led tv's should be avoided.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Two things to consider seriously. One is viewing angle. What are your options other than over the FP? That is a bad location. LCD looks fine straight on but off 15 or 20 degrees from center it degrades quickly. Plasma does not, viewing angle from just about anywhere.

Second, motion. LCDs interpolate motion so action is not quite as smooth as with other displays. There are various things that can be done to smooth this but some create the "soap opera effect" which describes what it looks like regardless of the source, film, video, whatever all looks like a video taped soap. Many LCD manufactures offer setting you can adjust as you desire, if you decide on LCD make sure you have that option in the menu.

I own 2 plasmas and an LCd all purchased in the last 6 months. They all look good, and do a decent job. I fault LCDs on viewing angle, that is the only real issue I have with them. Some lower end models have weaker blacks, and flashing in the corners, but any good unit should avoid these problems. At this point I prefer plasma, you get a bigger bang for your buck, and I simply prefer the image, it just seems finer grained and more viewable to me. Look and decide for yourself, just remember plasmas will not jump out at you in the showroom, but in the living room they look great. A;so regardless of type stick with the big manufactures that make the best units today --Panasonic, Pioneer(still available in plasma) and Samsung.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yap!! its really a very nice idea to save space. But care should be taken while watching tv. Watching of TV should be comfortable. The place should look clean, no wires should disply on wall. This process is bit panic. Save your TV from heat and smoke, they may affect the display.

You can have a TV stand to make it attractive.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norde /forum/post/16957560

Doesn't a flat panel hung on a non fireplace wall " free up floor space"?

That looks way too high for me.

You would have to see the entire room to get the feel for it. It is an open design with not alot of wall space. Seating distance will be about 16' so it is not straight up view.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorial79 /forum/post/16957757

Yea, you might want to provide free neck braces to your company when they come over to watch a movie.

I would go with LCD because plasma is more sensitive period. The samsung 52b750 would be nice. LED local dimming would be too thick except for the new samsung b8500 coming out soon which would give you the best picture. Other people would recommend the b6000 but edge lit led tv's should be avoided.

We have a dedicated home theater that will be used for all of movie wathing and even a great deal of TV stuff when the kids are in bed. So really this is more for day time viewing (cartoons) then any thing. So I am not worried about the movie deal.

Thanks for the model numbers I will take a look at them. I did do some quick price cheking on the new LED units and I think that is out, I would rather spend the money on a better projector where I will be most worried about quality.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by virp123 /forum/post/16959050

Yap!! its really a very nice idea to save space. But care should be taken while watching tv. Watching of TV should be comfortable. The place should look clean, no wires should disply on wall. This process is bit panic. Save your TV from heat and smoke, they may affect the display.

You can have a TV stand to make it attractive.

I did a quick drawing on viewing angle and from the viewing distance sitting on a couch is a 8.2deg angle to the center of the screen, so I don't thing that is to bad.

As far as wires go I have 2" conduit run from the equip rack on the fire place seat coming up to the back of the TV. No wiring visable at all, actually a much cleaner set up then I have now with my Rear Projection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Before you finalise your set-up, may I suggest you get one of those cheap thermometers and position it above the fireplace and near where the top of the screen goes. Heat rises from a fireplace, and the temperature reached for your new TV might be much higher than acceptable. You will notice there is a warning on all TV's, recorders and Hi Fi units not to place them near heat. Your hanging it above a fireplace could void your warranty.

Personally, I think it would be a better option to get a new wife than to position your new TV above your fireplace.
:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.