AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK; after doing a lot of research, I've determined that if I get a flat panel television, that it will be either the Panasonic TH-50PZ800u or TH-50PZ85u. The problem I am faced with is; SHOULD I even consider a new television.

I have a CRT RPTV Hitachi 51UWX20B 1080i/540p native; calibrated; excellent working order television. I've had it new, since exactly to the day, 6 years. 2002 model bought on January 3rd 2003. As I mentioned, this set was professionally calibrated twice. About 4 months after getting the set, to allow break in. Then again about a year later. Just to tweak. I personally do convergence and re-align the magic focus about every 4-6 months. I clean down the lenses and mirror once a year. I've cleaned out the electronics of dust probably 3 times. Probably every other year. So for all intent and purpose, the television is in great shape. And all in all, I think it is an excellent picture.

Now I know that most people will say that if I'm happy with the picture, then I should save my money and keep what I have. But there is a part of me that believes that a newer 2008-2009 plasma, or maybe even LCD, that is 1080p would be an even BETTER Picture. I watch all Directv and Blu-Ray. The Directv is an HD receiver and whether it's an HD channel or SD, I have it set to output 1080i. I let the HD receiver do the scaling instead of the television. I also have the Blu-Ray output 1080i (Being the television can't do 1080p). So I watch about 20% SD and the rest HD satellite or Blu-Ray/DVD.

So it comes down to whether a 1080p flat panel display is going to produce a "Noticeably" better picture than the 1080i CRT RPTV that I have now. Any opinions? Anyone gone from a high quality CRT RPTV to a flat panel and REGRETTED it? Anyone do the same thing and noticed a major improvement? Thx.... Mike....

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've seen your model of Hitachi (or very similar) in the last week, and yes, there are better TVs out there now. If you did a comparison to those two Panasonics, you'll see better black levels, more brightness, and increased resolution. Going from 540p to 1080p will double your display resolution. Then there are advantages of HDMI, especially with Blu-Ray.

Then again, I'm a big fan of sticking with what works ... I'm still using a Zenith 720p DLP with noticeably gray 'blacks' and a green push on the 1 DVI input ... I'd like to get a Pioneer plasma, but this one's paid for.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Although neither are exactly high quality, I went from a Hitachi 46" RP CRT to a pz80 and have no regrets whatsoever.

Although my RP was not calibrated, no amount of calibration could have made it a better TV than my plasma. My pz80 has better contrast, sharper picture, better (but not great) color, a perfectly uniform and less reflective screen, and most importantly, when I stand up or move to the side I still have the same excellent picture. Plus getting rid of all that bulk really makes the room look better.

One thing's for certain, a new pz800 will be much lower maintenance than your CRT. That should count for something.

A couple of things about the pz85 is that it has red push that is difficult or impossible to correct (depending on who you talk to) and very poor user picture controls. The pz800 has a 24p mode that doesn't work well. So if you are happy with what you have now, it may pay to see what the next generation brings in a few months.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely thanks for the opinions. Definitely some great points. (However, I will probably have to disagree that ANY flat panel will have better BLACKS than a CRT RPTV). Just because of the nature of technology. But that aside; I'm sure the blacks will be more than good enough. And the Hitachi CRT/RPTV has DVI (Same as HDMI without the audio); so the video won't really improve in that area.

As for the red push; I've definitely heard it mentioned. Not sure how much of an issue it is. I'll have to do more research. As for the PZ800U 24p mode. That shouldn't be an issue. If I'm not mistaken, that can be turned off and set for 60 and allow 3:2 pulldown. I may be mistaken.

So; you both do however agree that stepping up from the Hitachi CRT RPTV; even though calibrated; should still be an improvement. Thanks for the insight. Mike.....

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
It's a mistake to conflate CRTs with RPTVs.

Between the small internal reflections and minute dust on the RPTV optics, you'll never get the contrast ratios of a direct-view CRT or plasma. (I have a Toshiba RPTV.)

Plus, the measured resolution of RPTVs rarely exceeds 900 horizontal lines.

·
Registered
297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp /forum/post/15460099

As for the red push; I've definitely heard it mentioned. Not sure how much of an issue it is. I'll have to do more research. As for the PZ800U 24p mode. That shouldn't be an issue. If I'm not mistaken, that can be turned off and set for 60 and allow 3:2 pulldown. I may be mistaken.

You are correct, the pz800 does do 3:2 pulldown, and won't be any worse in that respect than your current TV. But a true 24P mode will give you better motion on Blu-rays.

To clarify, the red push is just on the pz80 and pz85 and not everybody is bothered by it. The only way you can know for sure is to see it for yourself, but make sure you set them to "Cinema" mode because all other modes have excessive noise/grain.

Be sure to check out the Samsung A550 plasma, as it has better overall PQ and much better adjustability than the pz85. The main question marks with Samsung compared to Panasonic is reliability and IR resistance, but they seem to have improved lately to the point that any claims about that are mostly speculation. Other downsides are the sound is not nearly as good on the A550 and the anti-reflective screen is mostly ineffective.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts