AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading on some web sites that all Flat Screen standard analog TVs have a buzz. Is this true? I'm not talking about speaker buzz, but a buzz from behind the glass or from the back.

I am in the market for a new TV and even the slightest buzz would bother me, as I often do my work with the TV on mute and I have very good hearing. My old 1998 27 inch GE TV was silent even with my ear next to the glass.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
There is the 15.75Khz from the flyback transformer. Some sets are louder than others from that whine, and when you get older your high frequency hearing starts to make it hard to here it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. My family always jokes that I can hear a dog whistle.

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but do flat screen analogs tend to buzz more than curved screens?

I'm asking beacuse I have already returned two flat screen analog Toshiba (Orion) this week because of buzz. I'm not sure if its because its a flaw of the Orion Toshibas or its due to the flat screen? In the past I have owned about five curved screens and not one of them buzzed.

I'm looking now at the flat Sharp 27F540, but I am worried about buzz. Should I expect I quiet TV?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P
Thanks for the information. My family always jokes that I can hear a dog whistle.

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but do flat screen analogs tend to buzz more than curved screens?

I'm asking beacuse I have already returned two flat screen analog Toshiba (Orion) this week because of buzz. I'm not sure if its because its a flaw of the Orion Toshibas or its due to the flat screen? In the past I have owned about five curved screens and not one of them buzzed.

I'm looking now at the flat Sharp 27F540, but I am worried about buzz. Should I expect I quiet TV?
It shouldn't make a difference because a flat screen CRT is really just a curved CRT with a flat frontface and a curved backface. The internal electronics are basically the same.

There should be a buzzing sound coming from the back of a CRT but it should be very faint. I know when I got my first Toshiba 30HFX84 the TV buzzed quite loudly the first time I turned it on. After a few minutes it went away and never came back. You might want to give it some time and let the TV break-in for a few days.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I went ahead and bought another flat screen today, a Sharp. It is very quiet, no buzz.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.