AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for a subwoofer that will fit under a bed. First constraint is that is must be under 5.5" high (well that and it must be less than 72"x72" so it won't stick out the sides of the bed). Second constraint is that I need it to connect wirelessly to the sub out from an OPPO-103.

Would be likely pairing this will some relatively flat on wall front speakers that might only go down to 90-110 Hz. In my mind that means the sub is going to be augmenting more "regular" situations rather than just filling in the really low end.

Appreciate any help anyone can give. I fear the answer is going to be DIY.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't have a suggestion, but I think I have another constraint for you -- since it seems like you're not hooking it up to a receiver, that it probably has to have it's own amplifier, so you need a flat, wireless, powered subwoofer for under your bed.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Any recommendations for a subwoofer that will fit under a bed. First constraint is that is must be under 5.5" high (well that and it must be less than 72"x72" so it won't stick out the sides of the bed). Second constraint is that I need it to connect wirelessly to the sub out from an OPPO-103.

Would be likely pairing this will some relatively flat on wall front speakers that might only go down to 90-110 Hz. In my mind that means the sub is going to be augmenting more "regular" situations rather than just filling in the really low end.

Appreciate any help anyone can give. I fear the answer is going to be DIY.
I think your gonna be out of luck with all the constraints.I have a Polk CSW155 (http://www.polkaudio.com/csw155/d/1081) which is 3.5 deep (high if you used under bed). It's an in wall and it's fantastic. The sound in my kitchen (with some $300 in-ceilings and that sub) is better than many people's media rooms)

BUT it needs wires and an external amp.

Polk have others that go between the floor joists if you have access

·
Registered
895 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have a suggestion, but I think I have another constraint for you -- since it seems like you're not hooking it up to a receiver, that it probably has to have it's own amplifier, so you need a flat, wireless, powered subwoofer for under your bed.
Sorry I did leave off that need. The subwoofer either needs to be powered or the associated external amp needs to also be flat.

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you could get to 6.2" (I'm assuming not), there's the Sonos sub. Not sure how usable (if at all) it is outside a Sonos system of if you could move other speakers to sonos. Small, good performer, wirelss

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you could get to 6.2" (I'm assuming not), there's the Sonos sub. Not sure how usable (if at all) it is outside a Sonos system of if you could move other speakers to sonos. Small, good performer, wirelss
Possible winner. Dayton Audio SA230 amp with VS8 subwoofer. $300. Not expecting it to amaze, just hoping it can support a thin set of front wall speakers that on have a frequency response down to 110ish.

I am no sub guy but this all has a phase control dial which I think allows me to "line up" the sub with the speakers. I think that is pretty important in this application because there will likely be more times the crossover match up matters.

Happy to be corrected if I have any of that wrong.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
I have never understood if the phase settings on a sub are really as important as the phase settings on higher frequencies. For example, when you have 4 subs in the room, how would you setup phase on each? I didn't even mess with the phase settings since I don't know what I would be doing with them...

If someone has a great algorithm for phase setup for subs, I would love to see it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts