AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good flat VGA cable for use under a carpet? I'll need a length about 30 feet long.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I strongly recommend not running any cable under carpeting. Is this carpet on a wood or concrete floor?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
This is going to sound messy, because it is, but I recommend rolling back the carpet, chop a trench, bury a couple of lengths of PVC conduit, patch the concrete, and have the carpet re-installed.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,589 Posts
I would second the suggestion from Mr. Fine.

The guy who installed my ADT alarm system snaked one wire under the carpet in my bedroom doorway to get to a key pad. After 8 year of traffic I can see where the wire is and when I redo the carpet I'll get my router out and cut a little groove.

Now It just so happens that I recently cut a channel in my basement concrete to run electrical to a free standing counter in my theater "Snack Bar"

My cut was about 6 ft long and 5-6 inches wide.

First I cut two parallel grooves in the concrete with a diamond blade in an old circular saw. I made three passes so as not to over tax the motor. (this is one of the dustiest things I've ever done) I kept spritzing the floor with a spray bottle ( but not too much remember I was using an electric saw). I had a nearby window open with a fan blowing out. Also I used a face mask and held my breath. The cuts were as deep as my saw would go but did not go all the way through.

Then it was off to the rental store for a jack hammer. I was prepared to get the full size 80 lb. Bosch electric which I had used last summer on my sidewalk but the tool guy clued me in on a junior version that looked kind of like a tommy gun with a long barrel. 3 hours later I had the tool returned after busting up the trench. The part on the bottom that I didn't slice broke off pretty cleanly. In my case I hit no re-bar and the metal grid I did hit, I cut with a metal blade in my reciprocating saw. I bent it back and replaced after the conduit was in place. I scooped out the debris with a garden trowel and sucked up the small stuff with my shop vac.

I scooped out some of the gravel (that was under the concrete) then I put in conduit and wire. I poured the gravel back holding the conduit in place and it passed inspection.

Then I mixed up a couple of bags of concrete and filled it in. Total labor was less than 8 hours.

Let me tell you working with a jack hammer is one hell of a stress release. Last summer I had a ball removing 30 feet of sidewalk. O yea... be sure you have ear plugs.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
What!?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,589 Posts
I had such a dust storm you couldn't see to take a picture.

Actually didn't think about it

But if you go to home depot and look at Black and Decker's book "Complete Guide to Plumbing" they have pictures of cut trenches for putting a bathroom in a basement. Very similar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.