AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on my dedicated home theater for several years. Originally I assumed I would go with a fixed screen for best picture quality.

The screen wall includes a small stage feature. Upon which I'm expecting there might be some karaoke, productions by my kids, etc.

Its almost guaranteed that the gesticulations the go along with said productions will lead to contact with the screen. Grimy kid fingers and projection screens don't mix.

So I changed my plan to use a retract screen. This is particularly attractive because of a theater feature that could be called a proscenium hides the screen case. A retract screen will disappear when stored.

Last night I viewed a movie at a friends house. I've watched many movies here. My friend has a relatively low end retract screen. His screen has some relatively easy to notice ripples. I think I never noticed them in the past because I wasn't paying that much attention.

Having said all that... My friends screen does not have a tensioning system. Its just a simple weighted bar. So the question is, how good are the tensioned retract screens? Are there any particularly good/bad tensioned retract screens?

llj

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Have you considered the Fixed frame with a retractable shade (where you would put the retractable screen) for the occasional live use of the stage? Even a low end or used screen could be used for this protection.

You will spend a lot of money on a tensioned screen and the above would be less expensive..

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/20847078

Have you considered the Fixed frame with a retractable shade (where you would put the retractable screen) for the occasional live use of the stage? Even a low end or used screen could be used for this protection.

You will spend a lot of money on a tensioned screen and the above would be less expensive..

Good options. Also think about installing curtains.

·
Banned
960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llj /forum/post/20847030

I've been working on my dedicated home theater for several years. Originally I assumed I would go with a fixed screen for best picture quality.

The screen wall includes a small stage feature. Upon which I'm expecting there might be some karaoke, productions by my kids, etc.

Its almost guaranteed that the gesticulations the go along with said productions will lead to contact with the screen. Grimy kid fingers and projection screens don't mix.

So I changed my plan to use a retract screen. This is particularly attractive because of a theater feature that could be called a proscenium hides the screen case. A retract screen will disappear when stored.

Last night I viewed a movie at a friends house. I've watched many movies here. My friend has a relatively low end retract screen. His screen has some relatively easy to notice ripples. I think I never noticed them in the past because I wasn't paying that much attention.

Having said all that... My friends screen does not have a tensioning system. Its just a simple weighted bar. So the question is, how good are the tensioned retract screens? Are there any particularly good/bad tensioned retract screens?

llj

How big a screen did you have in mind? The tension system really does make that much of a difference and that's why manufacturers charge more for it and some don't even offer drop down screens without it unless you beg for it!

Only reason i'd be concerned is if you were running with a large screen or a very large top border.

Other than that, the tension system would eliminate most if not all wrinkles.

Benito

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.