AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks a ton to LTD and Gorilla83 for their help so far.

Sub Dimensions: 20 inches wide, 24 inches deep, 44 inches tall.

The title of the thread sums it up pretty well. I have plenty of vertical space but am limited in footprint otherwise I'd go for one of the larger Marty sub flat packs.

http://s232.photobucket.com/user/carlhungus2/media/Capture_zps53dcb135.png.html

http://s232.photobucket.com/user/carlhungus2/media/Capture2_zps5eb654fc.png.html

The dimensions don't have to be set in stone, but I do like them like this because I can fit them either in my corners upright, but since the are only 20 inches wide I could also lay them down under the screen and they would fit under it.

Stacking 2 of the subs vertically in the corners would be 7 feet 4 inches tall which is a nice height because that would fit in just about anyone's basement. I have 4 inches to spare with stacking 2 of them vertically.

I think stacked they will look awesome. Not quite like this picture since it will be 2 subs but close to this.

http://s232.photobucket.com/user/carlhungus2/media/Capture_zpsf4efc46a.png.html

Obviously the SI's would fit too, probably the Dayton HO's as well? I know the Dayton is a bit smaller but probably not too small to fit? Not positive on that.

I've also been talking to Gorilla83 about doing a flat pack of this design and I want to see if I can get others on board, I don't want to ask him to build flat packs just for me and I'm sure he doesn't want that either. I would be in for 4 of them.

I'm not in any rush on this, and I know Andrew has a ton going on right now but I want to see if anyone else is interested in something like this.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
your concept is functionally quite similar to the full size martysub, which was an 11 cf sub tuned to 17hz (this one is 10 cf, tuned to 16hz).

as a result, all the usual suspects will work, with various amounts of power depending on the thermal and excursion capabilities of each driver.

Dayton 18ho, stereo integrity 18ht, Dayton um18, and mach5/ist uxl18 will all work great in this cab. driver cutout may vary though. be careful with that.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"What were the dimensions of his?"

"rough dimensions of 32-34" wide, 21-22" deep and 72-76" high, they will be ported subs with a slotted port on the very top of the enclosures, and each one will use two UXL-18's and a inuke 6000DSP powering it and be tuned to 15hz."

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1506201/ltd-m18-sub-build/

they are a little different, but pretty much the same idea, with a different driver orientation so as to fit behind a screen.

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I missed that thread, thanks.

His is 32" wide and 22" deep which is still quite a difference in floor space compared to 20" wide and 24" deep. My hope is that there are others out there that need something with a smaller foot print.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1523780/flatpacks-for-a-tall-small-footprint-18-ported-sub#post_24516793

Actually his was 30" wide by 40" tall by 22" deep so different build. Another large ported enclosure

Actually they are 31.25" wide
Although I'm still not a 100% how we even ended up with that size...lol

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp  /t/1523780/flatpacks-for-a-tall-small-footprint-18-ported-sub#post_24519104

I see, thanks. So still quite a bit larger foot print than what I'm wanting to do.

I ended up getting four UXL-18's. So far I only have two up and running, need to finish the other two boxes. But so far two of these things are insane Carp! I really liked my dual PSA XS30's and these two subs literally stomp them.

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15  /t/1523780/flatpacks-for-a-tall-small-footprint-18-ported-sub#post_24519555

I ended up getting four UXL-18's. So far I only have two up and running, need to finish the other two boxes. But so far two of these things are insane Carp! I really liked my dual PSA XS30's and these two subs literally stomp them.

So awesome.... glad to hear it jbown and not surprised you are loving it.
One of yours puts out 120db's below 20hz for god's sake!

I gotta find a way to make this happen.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp  /t/1523780/flatpacks-for-a-tall-small-footprint-18-ported-sub#post_24525547

A couple of shameless bumps over the next week or so and if no interest I'll let it go.

We always like to see a sub built, go for it. In all my years I've only met two subs I didn't like.

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by urapnes1  /t/1523780/flatpacks-for-a-tall-small-footprint-18-ported-sub#post_24525579

Where are you located Carp? I can do the build, but it's got to be shippable.

I'm in Kansas City. The thing is Gorilla83 can do the build on his new cnc machine but I don't want him to unless it's done on a larger scale for other guys too so that it would be more worth his time. If he's going to mess with a specialty type sub he should spend the time working on his own builds since I know he is wanting to do that.

My thought was that there would be others with limited floor space both width and depth but not limited in height and so maybe there wold be a demand for a flat pack design.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I am interested in the same a small footprint design as well. I'm still trying to figure out the best placement for something like this but I'm wondering if it would be ok to have them on the right and left walls 1/4 from the corners. Does anyone know if it will sound "off" with the subs on the L/R vs front and back?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 120 Posts