AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the lens of my Sony D50 to clean what I thought was a speck of dirt in the lens.

Instead I found that the speck was actually somewhere inside the CRT assembly -- see attached photo. The spot is somewhere between the inside face of the glass and the face of the CRT, perhaps in the coolant?

Any suggestions as to how to remove this, or am I going to have to live with it?

Advice appreciated,

Bjorn

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I am not familiar with the tubes in a d50, but there is always a way to drain and refill the coolant and you can get it out that way I'm sure.

That is as long as it's not a tiny burn in the tube face from the spot kill circuitry not doing it's job. If you can see it's not in the phosphor you are probably fine.

I'll bet you will have some mildly complicated disasembly to do and the coolant is messy to work with. If the access hold is large enough you might be lucky enough to reach in with a very thin straw or other tube and suck out just the speck. Suck, but don't swallow. :)

Troy

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
If this projector is new to you and you have not used it yet, I would'nt worry just yet. If the projector was flipped over from ceiling to table mount or visa versa, it could just be a piece of debris floating around and should settle to the bottom after being used for a while.

Chip S.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's hard to tell, but it looks almost like a tiny bubble on the glass, and then a dark spot on the tube. The dark spot could almost be the shadow of the bubble, but when I shine a light in, I can see there is a shadow cast by the bubble-thing and it moves, while the dark spot does not move.

Are there any D50-specific instructions on removing the tube?

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
It's easy to remove, it comes out the front with minimal effort, 5 minutes or less. The only trick is to make sure you release the lever directly under the lens on the tube frame that holds the tube to the chassis. It's an L shaped motion to unlock the lever. No other instructions are on line as far as I know.

Curt

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had to refill the glycol on my G70 tube once and it wasn't that hard to do. From what I undertand you can reuse the same fluid if you maintain a sterile enviroment. That way fungus won't be introduced into the fluid. You will probably get the crt out and the spot will float away. Good Luck.

MRW

·
Registered
558 Posts
I had a similar bubble on the green crt of my D50 after having the tubes replaced. The shadow it cast on the screen made it look like a lcd with a stuck pixel. After taking the lens off to get a good look at it I decided that if it was still there in a week I would take the tube out and see if I could get it to move. Four days later it had moved on its own...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Any update on this? I have a 1272 that has a small spot right in the center of the green crt lense! I did the same thing - pulled the lense off thinking I could clean it and it is inside the tube. This thng has less than 300 hours on it - I would hate to have to replace a crt because of this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bjorn,

Have you had any luck with the spot on your CRT lense? I have a similar problem and was hoping to get some help with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I removed the tube and opened the top to access the fluid.

I fed a straw through the opening and over the area with the dot.

It wasn't a bubble in the fluid -- it appears to be inside the face of the actual tube, perhaps a spot burn as mentioned by an earlier poster.

So it seems like there's nothing to be done, short of replacing the tube.

The tube is otherwise in fair condition -- starting to show wear but watchable, so I don't plan to replace the tube at the moment. I guess I'll have to live with the LCD-style dot.

It's funny -- I bought a CRT projector to avoid the flaws of digital projectors, and things have worked out completely the opposite. I can't adjust brightness or contrast, and thus have dark grey blacks with little detail, and now I have a "dead pixel."

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sorry to hear things have been less then perfect for you. I got into this hobby four months ago and I am on my second CRT already. I love the pictures these things can throw and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get them right. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Guarenteed that what you have is phosphor which has been removed by the electron beam due to a malfunction with the spot beam kill. The tell tale is that the spots are almost ALWAYS perfectly centered. Chuck the tube, and contact Curt Palme for a replacement.

The worst part is that unless you were dinkin' around with the projector and made it do this accidentally (as was the case for me once), it will probably happen again :(

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I have a similar problem, but thesere are about 8 dots randoly across the face of the green tube - shows up like dead pixels on an LCD pj

Any idea what they might be? Could I get spot burn all over the place??

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
sometimes that happens when you make a hard power cut off like pulling the power chord...

Roland

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.