AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though native resolution does give you better picture quality sometimes, it can be frustrating for non-standard ratio resolutions that are meant to be seen at 4:3, like the CPS' 384x224 resolution. It may be closer to 16:9, but it is meant to be stretched to 4:3. It would work on a standard monitor simply by adjusting the settings on your monitor, but on a fixed pixel display like a plasm it would have to go through a scaler, which kills the image quality on low resolutions or video games. I'll show you an example.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That first picture is of the CPS game Magic Sword in its normal 384x224 resolution, it looks a bit squished unless you adjust your monitor. Here's the scaled version. It looks correct now, but the image quality suffers. It is possible for it to have the correct ratio and keep the image quality, but it would require such a high resolution that most monitors couldn't display it correctly. The purpose of this is to say that pixels aren't always perfectly square. An SNES or an arcade game may look right on a TV or arcade monitor, but if you try to play the same games on a FPD, then you're gonna run into some trouble.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yeah, solving the display problems of low-resolution graphics is definitely high on the light of fixed-pixel display designers these days.

:confused:

mark

·
Registered
482 Posts
To be honest, from that second photo I'm really impressed with the scaling job.

It's not at all super blury like you might expect it to be from too much anti-aliasing.

Dreamaster

P.S. Rogo be nice.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I am usually nice. I just get flummoxed when a thread has the haughty title of "Flaws of Native..." and it's about how how 1/2 million and million-pixel displays are bad at displays 80,000 pixel images.

I don't overstate the case when I say: No one is ever going to work on this problem.

Mark

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what are my options? I need something flat like a plasma, but I want it to automatically stretch to fit a 4:3 screen like a TV and have somewhat the same quality as a plasma.

BTW - I scaled that image in MSPaint out of all things. I used another photo editor to get the scaling percentages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.