AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Cnd dollar is closing in on the American green back. Currently we are near 98 cents, and some predict we could exceed the greenback by the Fall, only to drop back to about 97 cents by the year's end.

That makes it hard to swallow a Cnd HDTV purchase, considering the US prices. Here's an example: Best Buy Canada is selling the LG LH90 for $2699 (big sale price). Best Buy USA is selling the same set for $1999. With the exchange rate, that's about $2049 Cnd for the same set. A difference of $650 dollars for the exact same tv (I realize this is last year's model, new models will not be quite as bad).

I realize the bigger US market means better overall pricing, however the price differences are hard to ignore. A couple of hundred bucks, maybe, but not this. Best Buy's response to me was to completely ignore my question, and assure me they will match any Canadian retailer's price.

Wondering if we can expect to see prices fall in Canada in the upcoming months?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
This used to be a lot worse. 5 years ago when I first got interested in HDTVs, the price gap was more like 50% compared to a currency gap of maybe half that. Of course, this also existed in autos, books etc.

In fairness, our currency was as low as 81 cents last year and companies have to set prices allowing for fluctuations. It's a lot easier to offer special deals than it is to raise the list price. So really it makes sense for them to build in some pricing room. If I ran BB Canada I'd probably do the same thing.

But of course they'll take extra profit if they can. So keep on protesting, my friend. That's the way we get some of this pricing gap in our pockets rather than theirs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why not buy the t.v in the US? If it's made it Mexico like Samsung t.v. then it should be exempt from duties meaning you should only have to pay taxes on it.

Does LG not offer warranty service for products bought in the US?

I know this doesn't answering the question of price discrepancy. I think if more Canadians started buying things in the US it might force retailers to lower their prices.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Warranty is the biggest hold out on buying big ticket items in the US. If that was a non issue I would cross boarder shop in a heartbeat for the savings.

·
Super Moderator
21,637 Posts
sorry but this is not allowed: technical issues only

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.