AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fleur de Lis Theater Build

I've been meaning to start this thread for a long time.
We built our new house about 7 years ago, and I have been finishing the basement room by room since.
So far my wife dictated priority was the downstairs bedroom and bath, the wine cellar, the bar, and the general hang out spaces.

I typically make very slow progress since its just me and in some cases my father in law or buddy from work,
but with all the kids events and activities on hold for now, I find myself with a lot more time to get going.
We built the house with a theater in mind,
but I'll admit I didn't have a good plan when we built so I've had to get creative in some places
(Like working around HVAC trunks).

I'm almost finished with what will be the game room / lobby to the theater,
and the theater framing, which I will post some catch up pictures below.
I'm super excited to not only post my progress but get insights and help from the community
here on what I'm doing right and wrong. :)
I've been reading and studying builds on here for years and years.

Oh - the title.
Wife and I are big fans of New Orleans and Parisian culture
and have incorporated the Fleur de Lis throughout the basement in various ways.
I also play in a few New Orleans style brassbands when I can.

Theater dimensions: 17.5' x 19.5' x 12' (with another 3-4' behind screen)
Theater entrance is in the back, so there will be a massive riser to adjust for the 3 foot drop from the lobby.

Ceilings: 12' (soffits on all 4 sides, with all lights, HVAC on its own zone, and Atmos residing in the soffits)

Walls: 2x6 double drywall with green glue (double wall - so no clips needed)

Ceiling: Clips, hat channel, OSB + Drywall with green glue

Floors: Hoping to do plywood over horse mat stall strips, then the riser and stage on top

Doors: From the lobby, it will look like double doors to the theater entrance.
Only the left door is real, and I plan to have a second communicating door behind that for soundproofing.

Equipment List

Speakers
Front and Center Speakers: M&K S-5000 THX
Side and Back Surrounds: (8) M&K SS-150 THX Tripoles
In Ceiling Atmos Speakers: (6) TBD, will be in soffits
Subwoofers: PSA IPAL42 (Dual 21s) behind screen, future sub in back of room TBD
BOSS Platform planned under at least first row of seating

AV Electronics
LCR/Surround Amps: (3) Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
BOSS Amps: TBD
Processor: TBD

Projector and Screen
Projector: TBD
Screen: 150" or 140" 16:9 Acoustic Screen - Brand TBD

Power Conditioning
Power Conditioner: TBD
Whole House Surge Protector: in place

Seating
Chairs: (10) Looking at HT Design Clarks, two rows in a |00|0|00| configuration

Rack
Middle Atlantic AXS-43 Slide Out, located in lobby by entrance

Remote
Hoping to leverage my Roomie Remote system

Lighting
Insteon Dimmers / Insteon Hub. LED Rope around the soffit.

Here are the rooms as they started:

Foundation:

Unfinished Space:

Lobby Build:

Lowered the ceiling in the Lobby to conceal the HVAC trunk running upstairs.

You can see here the romex drops for the remodel cans that I put in after.
These will wall wash 6 theater posters eventually.

Real door to the theater next to the fake door, and the cutout for the equipment rack.
This was a compromise as the wife wanted large double doors
and I tried to explain that we needed 1 small door for sound containment.

Building a matching arch to frame the theater doors.
The white floor pipe will get covered with a built in cabinet for media, snacks, and movie memorabilia.

Drywall almost done. I didn't order greenrock, but that is what Menard's delivered.

Media Cabinet Build

Equipment Rack Installed

Lobby mostly complete, took about six months. Like I said, I am very slow...

I am using the Lobby in the meantime to watch movies on the wall.
I have these two old Berklines from my old house.

My hope is to have the whole thing done by the end of the year.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome build @tortelvis and with dual PSA IPAL 42.....WOW!!!
Actually, just 1 at this point, but it has dual 21" drivers in it. Would love two but wife is keeping close tabs on overall budget, and I know the pre-amp and projector are going to eat up the rest of my electronics spend for this. I have the luxury in this that I can get behind two of the 4 walls (left side and behind the front), so I can always wire more power and speaker runs in the future if need be.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sub'ed ! Looking forward to watching this one come together. Remember, sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better. :)

Reactions: tortelvis

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Nice space! Got any pics of the wine cellar? I'm always looking for ideas for mine.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice space! Got any pics of the wine cellar? I'm always looking for ideas for mine.
Sure thing. I admit I didn't take many pictures, but here is what I do have:

Here is the build of what will be the tasting room, with the unfinished wine cellar through the door.
The floor is tile that looks like wood:

Building the walls. The vapor barrier is on the opposite side of a normal build, since the cool side is the inside of the room. This was challenging as I had to build wall on floor with vapor barrier, then lift into place.

After drywall and paint:

Wine Guardian Cooling Unit vents to the unfinished side of the basement on the other side of the wall. Installs just like a window air conditioner unit.

Finished Cellar, except for the mahogany racking, which I have not started. The marble floor was super easy. The large medallion was ordered at MedallionsPlus.com as a 1 piece unit. The rest was just tile found at Home Depot, matched really close.

Finished Wine Tasting Room:

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Theater Room Progress to date:

To start, I realized I wasn't specific when all the HVAC went in during the house build. You can see from earlier pictures that the HVAC trunks were run right up the middle of the room, and had some vents looping down and up in places. I could have kicked myself for not having a better plan when I started, as I had to move and re-route lot of ducts before I started. I basically pushed everything towards the OSB wall. Live and learn.

Next I ran the new supply from the furnace into the room, where it T's into two supplies that will enter into the left and right soffit near the screen wall. You can see the pile of 2x6x12's stacked for the walls.

Wrapped some sections of the HVAC trunck with Rockmat Rubber Sound Deadener.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N19WB1C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I basically added it wherever the trunk sections connected together or was attached to the ceiling. Probably overkill but the last thing I wanted was to hear vibrating buzzing after the drywall is up.

To maximize the width of the room, I came up with a cantilevered wall design that wraps around the HVAC trunk before connecting to the ceiling with IB3 clips.

HVAC return ducts on the right.
The hallway created here between the two walls also allows me to get access to power and the back of the equipment rack. Also the heat can dissipate into this unfinished space.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Nice wine cellar! Thanks for the pics and the heads up on the Wine Guardian. Now I am really looking forward to seeing your theater finished!

Reactions: pkinneb

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice wine cellar! Thanks for the pics and the heads up on the Wine Guardian. Now I am really looking forward to seeing your theater finished!
Thanks! Have you started building a cellar yet? I assume no regrets on the BOSS platform? I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to build the riser platform with the BOSS platform integrated. Like the actual section with the seats sits 3-4" lower than the front of the chairs so after the BOSS platform it is level? Anybody done that?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Thanks! Have you started building a cellar yet? I assume no regrets on the BOSS platform? I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to build the riser platform with the BOSS platform integrated. Like the actual section with the seats sits 3-4" lower than the front of the chairs so after the BOSS platform it is level? Anybody done that?
No regrets at all! Best bang for the buck as far as I know. I think there are several who have incorporated the BOSS into their back riser. Just ask the question on the BOSS thread.

Have not started the wine cellar yet. :mad: I am trying to finish my 2 story foyer with new staircase first and beams on the vaulted ceiling (renting a scaffold next week), then the home office, then the mudroom/laundry room/pantry/ and 1/2 bath. Oh, and then the kitchen! ;) After that I think I can get to the rest of the basement. :D

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to build the riser platform with the BOSS platform integrated.
Absolutely I finally got mine wired up and taken for a test ride yesterday...

I still need to get everything dialed in but the first thing my wife asked is why don't we have this for our seats :D

Soon honey soon LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Absolutely I finally got mine wired up and taken for a test ride yesterday...
That looks amazing! This is interesting, I thought BOSS had to be its own thin platform vs built into the riser itself. But I suppose with enough venting in the riser the results are the same? I have some more research to do now. Both rows of my seating are on risers, so could potentially do built ins much much easier. Was already planning on a lot of venting to use the riser as a large bass trap.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
That looks amazing! This is interesting, I thought BOSS had to be its own thin platform vs built into the riser itself. But I suppose with enough venting in the riser the results are the same? I have some more research to do now. Both rows of my seating are on risers, so could potentially do built ins much much easier. Was already planning on a lot of venting to use the riser as a large bass trap.
Thank you! Not an expert by any stretch (they live on the BOSS thread) but it really has to more to do with isolation. Meaning you need to use enough ISO's to keep the riser isolated from the floor in my case that included the stairs. You also need to insure that its got a gap from the walls, columns, etc as it needs to be able to move freely. In my room I have 1/2 to 3/4" from all of these things even though it really doesn't look like it. That allows the entire riser to vibrate freely.

FWIW the vents are for the base trap which I have incorporated into my riser as well.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Framing is complete!

I decided to bump back the lower right 1/2 behind the screen wall as shown below. Primary reason was the IPal42 sub is such a big box depth wise that I needed the extra room. It basically follows the bump back of the concrete now, and I can still access the entire back wall with an 18 inch crawl space. The HVAC supply lines are in and running through the wall. The green tape on the floor is my first measurement of where the riser sits.

Ran a 2 inch conduit from the rack to the back center for the projector. I also ran power from here to the rack so the projector can use whatever surge protection exists in the rack.

My first big oops. I wanted to box in a section behind all 8 of the future columns with MDF, as the speakers I'm using are about 8 inches deep, and I really only want the columns to be 6 inches deep to preserve as much stair width as possible. I realized that in the back right column, it runs right where I had built a section where two walls meet. Sawzall and sledge to the rescue.

Question. I assume to box in the speaker box, I should use two layers of 5/8 MDF with GG in between? What is the best way to assemble that - glue and finish nails? What is the correct fastener to attach the box to the framing? I haven't done a lot of work with MDF.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts