AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the scoop.

Looks like a drive in my server is perhaps belly up. In Windows it shows as RAW instead of NTFS and cannot be accessed.

In Flexraid it shows as Healthy but has 0 capacity and 0 free space. I am positive there is data on it as a lot of my collection according to plex no longer exists.

When I try to restore this within flexraid it simply tells me there are no files to recover (this is under the toolbox menu). If I try to restore within Drive Manager it tells me there is a raid process initiated and I need to update first. I run the update as instructed and I still cannot do a restore as it keeps giving me the same error as before. It does tell me I need larger parity drive so I guess I have add another drive to it.

Frankly I'm not sure what to do at the moment but I need to get this back up and running and hopefully not lose anything.

Unfortunately my foray into flexraid has not been all roses (slow performance, loss of array more than once requiring reboots, and now a lost drive that I cannot seem to recover).

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. All drives are still in the server and in the Flex array.

Everything was fine until about 6pm last night as I was watching a movie via Plex then stopped watching it and went to run some errands. Came back a few hours later to finish and Plex said it no longer existed. Everything about the server was very slow, windows explorer couldn't even bring up what was on the array drive for viewing. Rebooted a few times, stopped and restarted the pool a few times and no luck. However flex raid says everything is healthy.

I grabbed a new drive for the OS, reinstalled W7 and reinserted the Dell/LSI cards to get the drives back up in Windows. Windows boot kept showing errors on a particular drive and chkdsk was unable to run on the drive (sorry I forget the error this AM).

Essentially I am not getting any warm fuzzies about getting things back.

I would have thought I could just restore the drive to one of the new blank/empty drives in the system but as I posted flex won't let me. Pretty frustrating.

I have to assume my FR problems are all because Windows can't access the drive but what do I know.

·
Registered
6 Posts

The same thing, Windows says RAW, happened twice and both times I lost all the data and all the discs had to be ripped again.  Many GB of recordings I made and videos of the band I play for were also lost.  It was stupid for me to save things that way but now I have learned that FlexRaid is ****.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I sure as hell don't want to hear that. I have nothing on the array that cannot be replaced. Of course it will require a lot of effort to do so. If this is something that is going to happen again than I will be going back to hardware raid.

I can't imagine this happens all the time and if it does happen enough I would like to think someone has an idea on how to fix it or at least prevent it in the future.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other thing I need to know is if this is a bad drive and I need to pull it how do I tell which one to pull out? Flex nor windows tells me the S/N of the drive (unlike my old raid cards did) so I don't have a clue which drive to yank

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not an option for me as I need to be able to run plex, MB3, and Jriver.

Right now I just need some guidance on what to do next. My understanding of flexraid tells me I should be able to stop the pool, pull the offending drive, insert a new drive and restore.

Also I should technically be able to stop the pool and still have all the other data on the other 12 drives intact meaning worst case I have lost 3TB (2.786) of data.

Am I wrong here?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well stopping the pool and looking at the drives at 3am last night the "bad drive" shows nothing as Windows cannot read it. In Admin Tools it shows as RAW. All I can do there is format it or Convert it to a Dynamic Disk.

When trying to restore in FR under Drive Manager it tells me there is a raid process initiated and I need to update first. I run the update as instructed (I get no errors other than the parity is not large enough) and I still cannot do a restore as it keeps giving me the same error as before.

There 16 drives in the array - all 3TB Toshibas, 14 DRU and 2 PPU. I was planning to grab 4TB drive and toss it in as an additional PPU drive but haven't ordered it yet.

5 of the drives in the array totally empty as they were just added this week and I have not moved anything to the server since then (no time) so everything is pretty much the same as it has been.

One other odd thing I noticed last night. In Windows NONE of the drives have letters assigned (whether the pool is active or not) AND in Flexraid of the 14 drives in the "data portion" of the array about half of them have the same drive letter as another drive in the array (this is only FR)

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
If the drive is in the Raw state then you have somehow lost the patition that was there , you could use something like this to fix it: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Or,

You can try to repair the partition with "chkdsk /r" in windows go to the properties of the disk from my computer and under tools click on error checking. It may ask to run it on the next restart if it cannot unmount the drive.

I think the file system got corrupted on the HDD. First make sure the drive is reading by OS, sometimes it gives false message to "FORMAT" drive. You will see that when you press the button of format windows will say it cant format cause the OS is not reading the drive. But don't try to press the format button incase. Press the CANCEL button, and bring up CMD, then type chkdsk X: /f/r (X is the drive letter, yours may be different)

if the drive is reading by OS then it will check the disk and you will be able to read data's from it.

I would try to start the computer in safe mode then try to copy everything from it. Once done format it and start with it as an empty drive.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
So you have a drive that went missing from Windows but Flexraid is showing it as healthy but with zero capacity? That's a new one. Have you tried to remove it from the pool using the Drive Manager? Maybe that will make Flexraid mark it as MISSING and let you rebuild.

Looks like something has caused garbage to be written to the drive. This has happened to me twice on two different systems, in both cases caused by ports on Norco backplanes going bad. In one of the cases it was an O/S drive in a Raid-1 array, in the other it was TWO drives in the Flexraid array.

The drives went missing and came up as RAW after I moved them to different hotswap bays and rebooted. I tried everything, including the drive manufacturers' recovery tools, but in the end I just had to format and rebuild.

In my case though I had no problems rebuilding in Flexraid. I suggest you post in the Flexraid forum, Brahim (the developer) is usually pretty quick to respond.

·
Registered
813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPfund  /t/1520404/flexraid-assistance-needed#post_24425448

Yeah, it is very bad.  FlexRaid got fixed by putting it in the trash and I built a FreeNAS.  Hardware raid is not needed.
Somebody who is guaranteed to lose even more data. Rather than understanding the real issue at hand, you choose to blame the tool. Blame on.

@OP

You will do best posting your issue in detail on the forum with screenshots. Try to be clear on your action takes thus far so that the proper advice can be provided.

If you posted and got no response, it is certainly due to lack of clarity.

Your disk being RAW is just that. It has not physically failed and so FlexRAID cannot mark it as missing. It has to actually be missing to be detected as such.

The one thing FlexRAID will prevent you from doing when a disk is RAW is running the Update task so that the parity information is not altered and so that you can recover.

Tip: you can use the SMART feature to get the S/N of the disks.

Reactions: Mfusick

·
Registered
6 Posts

No you do not have it correct because the data stopped being lost after I stopped FlexRaid.  After I switched then FlexRaid looked like a very bad software and it was the cause of the problem.  I don't want to read all the instructions because I want something that will work easy and let me do other things so FreeNAS is good.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Just curious are you running tRaid or Raid f?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts