AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my Norco computer all setup with W7 installed and I want to set up all my hard drives with FlexRAID. After going through the site and videos on how to use it it doesnt quite match up to what I am going through.

I was hoping someone could lay down a newbie plan of operating FlexRAID. I have it installed but I have no clue how to setup each drive and anything from that point.

Help please

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm no advice yet

Is anyone using FlexRAID?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I set it up following the videos on the FlexRAID site, and it worked perfectly. What part are you having problems with?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I watched the video and it seemed like he was more going through the features than anything. I don't know how to designate the parity drive, set what drives to have for the RAID, and how to set up the backup. I may need to know more but using commands is very confusing for me.

How do you know if it is working? Can you setup all drives to act like one? .... the list goes on.

I'll go back and watch the video again to see if it clicks.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I re watched the3 video and am more confused than before. I think the video was for a previous version of FlexRAID.

I also have an issue with my Norco setup because when I open my computer folder I cannot see the hardrives that are in the front bays. Only the OS hard drive.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The WebUI video shows you how to do pretty much everything, from setup to sync scheduling. Just follow that and you can't go wrong. I'm not sure what you mean by "when I open my computer folder I cannot see the hardrives". If you're using WHS, the drives don't show up normally, because they're mounted as folders under c:\\fs\\. You have to add the mounted folders to your FlexRAID setup as shown here .

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am actually not using WHS. I'm assuming that that is an OS all by itself. I have W7 installed.

I didnt watch that video as I assumed that was for something else. I'll check it out.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tell you what. This FlexRAID is making me feel like a computer moron

It seems as if I am to install the web ui and use that for an easier experience. I downloaded it and my computer automatically unzipped it in a file. What to do from there. The video shows it starting from a website. I tried the example browser address but that did not work and I am unsure how to change or find out my computers address. Will this change if I move to another router?

I also looked for my hard drives in my C:/ folders and nothing stood out to show my 8 1.5 tb drives. Just the 500gb OS drive.

Am I this stupid. Maybe I am going to have to pay a computer expert to set this up

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
As with any new piece of software, it's generally best to start with the README file. There's one in the archive which gives very simple installation instructions.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have read the readme but it assumes you are computer savvy and does not give a how to except for a simple start.

I think I am going to just hire someone to come help me. I dont want to but I spent so much on this computer that I have to make it work.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It's four steps to get the web UI running.

Quote:
1. Unzip the downloaded archive to any directory that does not contain spaces (ie c:\\flexraidweb)

2. To start: double click the start script (start.cmd)

3. Point your browser to http://localhost:8080/

4. Login name: admin, Password: admin

If that's too complicated for you, then yes, you'll need some actual, local help.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I couldnt find the start script so maybe that is where I am missing the step. Thanks for the info. I'll poke around a bit today when I get time.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I have the webui up and running. I have each hard drive on my host and a parity setup. What do I put my rips to. Is there a unified place to put them or do I have to individually place them in each hard drive?

·
Registered
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb /forum/post/18320485

Ok, I have the webui up and running. I have each hard drive on my host and a parity setup. What do I put my rips to. Is there a unified place to put them or do I have to individually place them in each hard drive?

FlexRAID Basic 1.3 RC1 includes FlexRAID-View which gives you a unified place to put your files. Without FlexRAID-View, each drive will have it's own drive letter.

http://www.openegg.org/forums/posts/list/155.page

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
In his forum the author of flexRAID has announced the release of 1.4 for this weekend. Very exciting stuff. I am looking forward to giving FlexRAID a try.

From what I have read this looks like a great solution for storing data that rarely changes. I want to run this on top of my W7 media server.

____

Axel

·
Registered
813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb /forum/post/18284499

I have my Norco computer all setup with W7 installed and I want to set up all my hard drives with FlexRAID. After going through the site and videos on how to use it it doesnt quite match up to what I am going through.

I was hoping someone could lay down a newbie plan of operating FlexRAID. I have it installed but I have no clue how to setup each drive and anything from that point.

Help please

FlexRAID is evolving faster than I can keep up with the documentation and tutorials.

Most of those video tutorials are indeed outdated.

They are actually doing more harm than good and will take them down soon.

You best bet is to start here: http://www.openegg.org/forums/posts/list/268.page

This will take you to the latest release and links to setup tutorials.

The sticky posts in this sub-forum will also be helpful: http://www.openegg.org/forums/forums/show/2.page

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I have finally gotten to the point where I am going to hook up my NAS. It looks like some new things have happened with FlexRAID and am wondering if anyone can give me the run down of the current status. It looks like 1.4 trial is going to run out in September. Does this mean I cannot use it at that point? Also what is the best setup to have a NAS on W7 and still use some of the computer for other items. The server will also act as my ripping computer if this helps

·
Registered
182 Posts
if you want FlexRAID to update every day (schedule it) you need the WEBUI to run 24/7.

Best to install Tomcat and run it as a service.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will keep this going 24/7 so I dont think I have an issue there. My problem is that I started learning how to use it when it was version 1.3 and now it seems that the 1.4 beta has been released but soon to expire.

I want to start ripping my movies and thought I was going to use FlexRAID but it seems as if it is losing support and has had no activity for over a month on the forums. You cant even post on it.

Any other ideas for how to store my media so I can stream it.

I already have a Server running W7 with 12 1.5th drives in it. I have ripped a few blurays and dvds as test samples so I can try my streamer but I would like to set it up as a unified storage for easy access.

Help please

1 - 19 of 19 Posts