AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All


Built a new HTPC server with IBM M1015 and all new Seagate NAS and WD Red's and I'm using FlexRAID snapshot. My parity built OK initially, then I added about 15GB of movies and every night I get an update failure. Always unexpected end of file on an ISO or MKV. I can copy the offending files and play them. I posted on FlexRAID forum and brahim repeatedly says it MUST be the drives timing out or the controller because it's always been that in the past (which is a completely illogical assumption). I run stablebit scanner and that reports no errors.


Before I ditch FlexRAID, anyone got any ideas how I can verify it's not the controller or drives? (No-one on FlexRAID forums can suggest anything)


Regards


Mark
 

· Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u  /t/1517106/flexraid-issues-before-i-dump-it#post_24339001


Hi All


Built a new HTPC server with IBM M1015 and all new Seagate NAS and WD Red's and I'm using FlexRAID snapshot. My parity built OK initially, then I added about 15GB of movies and every night I get an update failure. Always unexpected end of file on an ISO or MKV. I can copy the offending files and play them. I posted on FlexRAID forum and brahim repeatedly says it MUST be the drives timing out or the controller because it's always been that in the past (which is a completely illogical assumption). I run stablebit scanner and that reports no errors.


Before I ditch FlexRAID, anyone got any ideas how I can verify it's not the controller or drives? (No-one on FlexRAID forums can suggest anything)


Regards


Mark

I am sure you already tried this but did you try to run the update manually?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,434 Posts
Was the MKV in use or the ISO file mounted on another system? I'd reboot the system and manually run the update. Check the log if it fails and move those files out of the pool and try again. Then move them back and re-run it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
I was having this issue and the way I solved it was to make sure that the virtual drive was not mounted. After I unmounted what ever movie file was mounted in the virtual drive, validate went through to the end successfully.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmg  /t/1517106/flexraid-issues-before-i-dump-it#post_24342820


I was having this issue and the way I solved it was to make sure that the virtual drive was not mounted. After I unmounted what ever movie file was mounted in the virtual drive, validate went through to the end successfully.

thanks for suggestion but nothing is mounted
 

· Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain  /t/1517106/flexraid-issues-before-i-dump-it#post_24343102


Is this computer your server and htpc ? Are you running plex, mb, or any equivalent server software service?

Yes, runs WMC and MB. I disabled MB some days ago in case that was the culprit, but still get same error
 

· Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Wmc trying to record to the array during parity update? Live tv buffer on the wrong drive? I'd suspend all recordings and disable the network port and try it again. Kill any antivirus too. Have you turned off all sleep settings, drive spin down settings and other hibernation settings?
 

· Banned
Joined
·
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmg  /t/1517106/flexraid-issues-before-i-dump-it/0_100#post_24342820


I was having this issue and the way I solved it was to make sure that the virtual drive was not mounted. After I unmounted what ever movie file was mounted in the virtual drive, validate went through to the end successfully.


I'm quoting this because it's a great point and important for those ISO users that play 3D ISO. If your client mounts the ISO it can lock up that file, so unlock, up mount or restart your client to release. Or use a program like unlocker to do it manually.


This is true of any file or folder that gets locked actually, but mounting an ISO just happens to be one instance that is common in HTPC.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u  /t/1517106/flexraid-issues-before-i-dump-it/0_100#post_24339001


Hi All


Built a new HTPC server with IBM M1015 and all new Seagate NAS and WD Red's and I'm using FlexRAID snapshot. My parity built OK initially, then I added about 15GB of movies and every night I get an update failure. Always unexpected end of file on an ISO or MKV. I can copy the offending files and play them. I posted on FlexRAID forum and brahim repeatedly says it MUST be the drives timing out or the controller because it's always been that in the past (which is a completely illogical assumption). I run stablebit scanner and that reports no errors.


Before I ditch FlexRAID, anyone got any ideas how I can verify it's not the controller or drives? (No-one on FlexRAID forums can suggest anything)


Regards


Mark

Are you ripping to your Flexraid drive?


Is it during an update or parity process ?


Did you check you logs ?


Those three questions can help me help you. I've had tons of strange problems like you and I figured them all out. It was always something small and stupid and easily fixed related to my set up. That's why when I find a process that works I like to stick to it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain  /t/1517106/flexraid-issues-before-i-dump-it#post_24343156


Wmc trying to record to the array during parity update? Live tv buffer on the wrong drive? I'd suspend all recordings and disable the network port and try it again. Kill any antivirus too. Have you turned off all sleep settings, drive spin down settings and other hibernation settings?

Thanks for the suggestions
  • Right now, this WMC isn't recording (all recordings currently done on other WMC)
  • Live TV buffer is on dedicated drive that is not part of the array
  • I've excluded FlexRaid process, Pool and the 2 flexraid folders on C: from virus (Win Defender). I've disabled completely for now
  • Have turned off all power management settings possible
  • Running again, will see if anything changes
 

· Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1517106/flexraid-issues-before-i-dump-it#post_24351659


Are you ripping to your Flexraid drive?


Is it during an update or parity process ?


Did you check you logs ?


Those three questions can help me help you. I've had tons of strange problems like you and I figured them all out. It was always something small and stupid and easily fixed related to my set up. That's why when I find a process that works I like to stick to it.

Not ripping to FlexRaid drive. Right now the PC does nothing unless I'm watching some recorded TV from another WMC. Update runs at 1am, so it's done (failed) by the time I get to watch TV in evening


It's the scheduled nightly update (so parity computation)


I just checked logs at time of last failure and see this:


Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: Scanner.UI.exe (2360) consumed 178434048 bytes, FlexRAID.exe (1524) consumed 125665280 bytes, and MsMpEng.exe (2760) consumed 84041728 bytes.


These 3 total about 370MB. I have 16GB installed and 16000MB paging space on my drive that I use for dvr recordings and downloads (not in array). Boot drive is SSD. Current in use is 3GB
 

· Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Hash your files.


Do the things that have been causing problems.


Hash them again.


If this causes an eye opener, pull up a chair and welcome to the world of ZFS
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top