AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for reading.

I have setup a flexraid server with 24 tb. I have always been having issues with creating parity and my verifys and validates constantly fail. I havent been in town and hence havent done anything about it. I have some time now and can do this right. Now my updates take hours and its very slow and eventually fails with a EOF error. I think all this is because I started my pool with drives with data. These disks are fairly old. I also have a norco 4224, a new one and am hoping its not a backplane issue.

I would like to redo this thing from scratch. I have the drives to move data and can pre clear to make sure there are no issues before I build parity. I have seen far too many people with no issues with flexraid and bat for it. I hate their forums as I never ever get any replies. I havent posted this on their forums due to previous experience with silence.

I have had so may issues with flexraid that i have also been considering snapraid but I love the ability to drive pool too much.

I also considered storage spaces but I also need the ability to add full drives. Please help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Currently I have an update running for a few hours. The task manager shows just 1 drive at 100%. The same drive for most of the time with 0 read/write speed. I have no idea what that means.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
What is the Flexraid status window showing? Is there any progress or does it appear hung?

Do the updates always fail? When was the last time you had a successful update? If you have a 24 TB pool which is mostly full updates WILL take hours if you have lots of changes since the last update.

Tell us more about your hardware. How are your disks connected?

I have 2 Flexraid servers. Both had serious problems due to glitchy Norco backplanes. Disks were dropping out, had garbage written to them, and Flexraid maintenance operations were failing. One of the servers BSOD'd at every shutdown or reboot.

One of the servers is now in a Supermicro chassis with zero issues. The other one has had 2 backplanes replaced and is now problem free - for the moment.

Your problems strongly suggest hardware problems. Could be the backplanes, could be memory.

What I would do is start out with a small newly created Flexraid pool with just a couple of disks and very little data. Then run update, verify and validate operations and see how they end up. If they check out add one drive at a time and repeat the process. If you get a failed update after adding a drive, you may have located a problem with a disk or drive bay (=backplane).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the awesome reply.

The flexraid status windows appears hung, but the drive is 100% on my task manager.

Thats how it has been for about 3 hrs or so.

I think ill start slow and do this like you said. I havent changed any files at all. All of them have been mostly static.

Also my norco is a newer one that has the newer backplanes, not the old ones that burned disks. So I am hoping its not them, cause it will be really hard to get the backplanes where I live.

I will start a new array and post results. But before I start a new array is there a way to make sure my drives are clear of errors, cause I read that flexraid may make parity calculations with errors already on the drives.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you checked the Flexraid log file for possible hints at the problem? You might need to enable TRACE mode to get more verbose logging. I would still suggest posting on the Flexraid forum. Check the sticky "before you post" to see how to enable trace logging. Include your log file. Brahim usually responds within a day or 2.

Wouldn't hurt to try clearing your browser cache and reboot. Also check to see if you're running the latest/final version: 2.0 final update 12c.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Both my Norcos had the new backplanes. They did not burn up like the older ones did but still crapped out. I just don't trust them.

That being said, Norco has awesome customer service, they sent new backplanes all the way here to me in Sweden at no cost and didn't even ask for the broken ones back.

How's it going for you?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys. It going fine for now. I have gotten the array upto 8tb now. Adding a drive each after checking for errors. I found one disk that had some read errors through SMART. Have left it out and getting the others added.

I also don't have SMART data for the drives that are on my IBM m1015s. That is 4 backplanes = 16 drives. But I am checking them for errors in Windows. Hope its just that one drive, but I doubt it. Some of my drives are 8 years old. So lets see.

Edit: Spelling

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have kinda narrowed it down to one backplane. The second one. The other backplane connected to the same card works just fine. The drives were on that backplane also work just fine. How can I get the backplane replaced ? Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also. I have a 4tb parity and when i try to add a 4tb dru it says parity size is too small. I am not sure what is wrong.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donysious  /t/1525276/flexraid-issues#post_24590824

I have kinda narrowed it down to one backplane. The second one. The other backplane connected to the same card works just fine. The drives were on that backplane also work just fine. How can I get the backplane replaced ? Any suggestions ?

Send email to [email protected], attach proof of purchase and explain the situation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts