AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I came here after a fruitless quest the last 24 hours trying to find information on an issue I am noticing with my new Panasonic TCP42x1. Have had it just for a little over a week, and am having an annoying problem ONLY when watching hockey games (both in HD and SD).

Have the NHL Center Ice package, and since the season started last Thursday, I am getting what I can only describe as "flashes" or "flickers" during games. Best way to describe it is very brief a white flash/distortion across the screen. It only lasts for a very brief period, but is becoming annoying. It is only occurring during hockey games, all other sports and programs are fine. Have dug around the net looking for answers, and have found a few possibilities, but nothing concrete.

Does anyone else experience this? Any idea to the cause or where I can find further info? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
87 Posts
Could it maybe be camera flashes? I ask because sometimes during NBA games the flashing of cameras from the media and/or fans can catch my attention and I cannot stop seeing it. This occurence can at first appear to be a video problem. Starts to drive me nuts. I never noticed it before switching over from a 27" CRT to 40"+ flat panels a few years ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by erocuroc /forum/post/17294183

Could it maybe be camera flashes? I ask because sometimes during NBA games the flashing of cameras from the media and/or fans can catch my attention and I cannot stop seeing it. This occurence can at first appear to be a video problem. Starts to drive me nuts. I never noticed it before switching over from a 27" CRT to 40"+ flat panels a few years ago.

Honestly, that is the only thing I can think of at the moment, however when you see a camera flash directly across the arena (facing the broadcast camera), it looks quite different from the other flash/flicker seen otherwise. What may be occurring is camera flashes happening near the broadcast camera that cause the brief "flash/flicker" and picture disruption I am seeing.

Did some more research this evening, and again, only doing it on hockey games, and only when the camera is focused on or near the ice area, so applying Occam's razor it would appear your suggestion would be the most likely. Will just have to get used to it unless another possibility exists.....

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
183 Posts
As a long time hockey fan who attends many games....... you can notice the strobe lights of the photographers if you concentrate on a particular part of the ice during the action. The same can be true while viewing an HDTV broadcast, but its MUCH harder to scrutinize. The bright LED ribbons around the arena and the large video boards in nearly every arena are also constantly changing their images during the action. This could possibly be some of the flash images you mention.

If you're new to watching HDTV, its incredible the amount of detail and nuances of live events that your eye is attracted to, compared to a SD broadcast. The HDTV's being produced in 2009 are incredible devices (for the most part ) - these displays do a wonderful job of producing a lifelike picture.

I watch A LOT of NHL action. In the various rinks you can noticed the effects of the arena lighting on the ice surface. Within some rinks the corners are noticeably darker compared to the face off circles, the overhead video board in Chicago and other rinks causes a shadow near the players benches side of the ice, etc. Hockey is the one sport where HDTV has I M P R O V E D the enjoyment of watching a live event more so than any other sport. Am I biased (?)

PS .......... some of the networks have a better broadcast PQ than others. I say COMCAST PQ (1080i) beats the FOX regional (720p) broadcast in PQ, a finer picture to my eyes.

I wish I had the discretionary FUNDS to have both of my Kuro's pro calibrated. I tend to change the settings to the GAME mode on both models for a cleaner white during hockey telecast. No need to remind me the improvements and procedures, I've been reading & researching for months on AVS.

If you'd like to contribute to my Kuro calibration fund............

http://www.hdsportsguide.com/nhl/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGreen321 /forum/post/17296066

Which picture mode do you use? I watch hockey all the time on mine and never see any flicker. Make sure you're using cinema.

Greetings,

I use the cinema setting. It's definitely there, but with it only happening on hockey and nowhere else, I can't see it being an issue with the TV (at least in my not so educated opinion at any rate).

Paul

·
Registered
472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhuen /forum/post/17296535

Greetings,

I use the cinema setting. It's definitely there, but with it only happening on hockey and nowhere else, I can't see it being an issue with the TV (at least in my not so educated opinion at any rate).

Paul

Could it be the action of the dynamic contrast setting? Is that on?

·
Registered
6,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhuen /forum/post/17296535

Greetings,

Paul

Research plasma ABL (automatic brightness limiter) I believe some ABL's are more aggressive than others and its why I can't own a plasma.

I can't see how members can watch TV in cinema mode.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Based on his description, it seems unlikely that the ABL is the culprit.

There's an easy way to test this if you can get ahold of a 15% white window patten, and a full screen white pattern. Adjust your contrast down so that the 15% window matches the light output of the full screen white.

This will effectively disable the ABL.

If the hockey broadcasts don't improve, then you can be very nearly certain that the problem is in the source.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I get the same thing. It is the strobes from the cameras. I also see it during basketball. I went and watched some hockey on an old tube tv and if you look for it you can see it there also. It just doesn't stand out as much.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
the screen is filled with white/ice during hockey games, so you're going to see flickering. PDPs have this, much like old CRT screens w/60hz refresh rate. u won't notice this happening with LCDs, but you're going to have to live with it when viewing hockey on your PDP.

I never see this effect on NBA/NFL/MLB, but they dont play on an all white surface.

try turning down the contrast or adjusting the color temp, that seems to help me on my pdp.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustwvl /forum/post/17315104

I saw the same thing on the LCD I had also so it is not just the plasma.

i never saw it on the 40" LCD that i had owned........and i watched a lot of hockey games on it..........

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my LG PQ20 and i have the same problem.

I checked out the net - people are saying that it could be the strobe flashes but i am not sure. Will try to get some more info.

The weird thing is that it happens only during the full-ice view - doesn't flicker during interviews

Here's the link to a discussion about this problem
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=86801

I will try to play with the TV settings but if it's still annoying i would have to try another TV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's the same on Samsung PS42B450.

Allthough I see two instances: While in movie mode, when some very bright area goes over the screen (as when watching skiing), the screen flashes along with the menu that's superimposed. Definitely something wrong. This can be resolved by entering standard mode, but then the occurance is still there, allthough much less visible, and that could be only plasma adjusting lighting to suit the amount of bright screen displayed. Annoying, but it could be normal dealings with these sets.

BTW, glad I'm not the only one, started pulling my hair out..

·
Registered
1 Posts

This post is way old, but one of the ones I have found that relate to what I have been searching for.

I have been getting headaches lately since I purchased my new TV while watching Hockey.. Found this thread and felt less insane.. :)

I did capture the flashing on my DVR which I didn't think I'd be able to see it. It has to be camera flash, it gets more intense during fights. I only started noticing this when I setup my new TV (Panasonic Plasma ST60 65", old TV was a 2007 Panasonic Plasma 50").  The TV reproduces everything, which other TV's aren't able to show.

Here are some photos showing the flash and how it doesn't effect the whole screen (ice and ticker) but only the ice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too am fighting the "Hockey Flash". My TV is a brand new LG 47GA7900. It's terrible trying to watch my favorite sport while putting up with the flicker. I have been playing around with settings but have to get the picture darker than I would like in order to minimize it. Thought I'd post to this thread as well even though it very old. Suggestions would be appreciated. (my tv does it during basketball games as well.)

·
Registered
111 Posts
As mentioned earlier in this thread, you're just seeing the strobes mounted in the rafters of the arenas that photographers at ice level can trigger. You can really notice it if you're at the game in person, but interestingly I've found it's the kind of effect that is very distracting if I'm paying attention to it, but that I stop noticing after my mind wanders to other things (like the game). See this thread; I posted a YouTube clip from the NBA Finals last year where you can see the same effect with basketball:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499344/panasonic-60st60-brightness-flicker-basketball-games-anyone-else

·
Registered
10 Posts

I'm so glad I found this thread.. I bought and panny S60 last week, basically to enjoy hockey.

So I fire up hockey night in Canada on Saturday, settle in front of the TV with a beer, and constant random flashing during the play. I was sure that the tv was a dud, but it showed everything else in perfect HD. Annoying as hell.

To eliminate the signal through the PVR, I hooked up the TV to an OTA antenna. Exact same problem.

So I recorded the game, disconnected the PVR, and hooked it up to a Sammy LCD in another room, it showed the flashing as well.

I even watched the game from the network online feed on the computer, and it showed the flashing too!

In 30 years of watching hockey, and a ton of it in HD over the last few years, I have never noticed this phenomenon in my life. This is absolutely bizarre, and bugs the hell out of me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts