AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just mounted all my cans in the basement and tested them before drywall goes up, they all work, however I noticed they flicker when someone walks over them upstairs? why is that?! I would think that would get pretty annoying after my theater gets done....

Anyone else have this issue or a method to deal with it?

Thnks,

John

· Registered
202 Posts
Are the cans secured in tight? Bulbs tight?

What worries me is if they all flicker, you may have a short somewhere. I saw something like this before where a drywall screw hit the wire.

· Registered
21 Posts
you either have a loose wire somewhere or something contacting a wire, perhaps a nail or something. If the power from the switch to all the lights isn't properly fastened then they will also flicker. Make sure you marrette all your connections and tape them to ensure that they don't move. i.e someone walking upstairs and moving the wires a little. Check all the wires and connections.

· Registered
894 Posts
Are you saying they flicker like you are flipping the lights on and off? Or is it just they are vibrating the cans and the can lights are moving?

Remember, in standard cans, there is also a butterfly nut at the top inside, that allows you to adjust the bulb depth. If that is loose, it will rock quite easily.

If the lights are going off and on, that is scary and get it fixed ASAP! (Post what you find too please).

I assume it was new wiring? Seperate circuit only for the new lights?

If it is using an existing circuit (slacker), you can cheat and test the lights to a different circuit by using an old extension cord you can cut. Disconnect from the switch after you shut the breaker off, then connect the extension cord to it and plug into an outlet. That is the ******* way I powered my lights for a month until the new circuit was in

With the lights on, see if you can take a 2x4 and push up on the joists and get it to flicker.

OH one last possibility could be you might have used standard house bulbs in the cans.. if the bulbs do not have the reflective upper half, then it will quickly heat up the can IC sensors and trip them.

MAN really sounds weird... I hope it isn't a nail!

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffy /forum/post/15419693

Are you saying they flicker like you are flipping the lights on and off? Or is it just they are vibrating the cans and the can lights are moving?

I'm saying the can lights flicker sometimes when someone walks upstairs over them.

Remember, in standard cans, there is also a butterfly nut at the top inside, that allows you to adjust the bulb depth. If that is loose, it will rock quite easily.

All the nuts are very tight.

If the lights are going off and on, that is scary and get it fixed ASAP! (Post what you find too please)., No, I only said flickering not on and offI assume it was new wiring? some is new wiring some is not, the cans are on 2 separate circuits, but they all flicker to some degree if the vibration from upstairs is hard enough. Seperate circuit only for the new lights?

If it is using an existing circuit (slacker), you can cheat and test the lights to a different circuit by using an old extension cord you can cut. Disconnect from the switch after you shut the breaker off, then connect the extension cord to it and plug into an outlet. That is the ******* way I powered my lights for a month until the new circuit was in

With the lights on, see if you can take a 2x4 and push up on the joists and get it to flicker. I've banged on the joists with a hammer from below next to the cans and they dont flicker

OH one last possibility could be you might have used standard house bulbs in the cans.. if the bulbs do not have the reflective upper half, then it will quickly heat up the can IC sensors and trip them. I'm using halogen PAR 30 bulbs

MAN really sounds weird... I hope it isn't a nail!
me too, but highly unlikely cause I dont have any drywall up at all yet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.