AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear fellow forum members, lurkers, geniuses , and any combination of therefore mentioned.

I would like to run an HTPC as I am receiving a 3-chip DLP projector here in a few days.

I have done a facq search etc..and have found good info but it is filled with jargon and typical prerequisites of Video cards 101,102, Advanced computer building 304,306 .

Is there a laymans site somewhere? or can someone just tell me what i need? Radeon 64? I need to output 5.1 sound too ..

also can it accpet and scale a DTV signal too??

etc

Regards,

John

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Obviously take a look at Buyer's Guide: HTPC for Newbies , and another recent thread is Building a good value HTPC . And while tech lingo laden, see also the "Best in Class" post and the FAQ (use search to find them.) For how to build a PC, as I recall www.tomshardware.com and www.cnet.com have primers.

You need a HDTV card to input DTV signals (I think, but don't listen to me - I'm a newbie too.)

An example of a configuration: a Pentium III 800 Mhz, with ASUS CUSL2-C motherboard, 256 MB RAM ( www.crucial.com will tell you what kind), WinTV video capture card (any variety that is bt878 based), ATI Radeon LE (not All-in-Wonder), 4X to 10X IDE DVD drive, 1+ GB IDE hard drive (preferably 7200 RPM, 10+ GB, and quiet), a case with a power supply suited to your processor, and that's about it.

If you are scared by the terminology, then I suggest you avoid SCSI and go IDE all the way, and you may wish to stick to Intel (Pentium III) too.

For some of the HTPC-geared equipment you might want and some alternate HTPC configurations, see www.digitalconnection.com and also the product section of www.avscience.com .

-Abdul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.