AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a floating floor is better than concrete. My ceilings are just under 8 foot so building a floor wouldn't work. I wondered if I could put down a cheap pergo floating floor and then cover it with carpet. The laminate floors are very thin and wouldn't affect my low ceilings. Any feedback would be great. Also does sound channel have any acoustical benefits or is just for sound proofing? I also noticed a tape that another member put on his studs before drywall. What's the benefit of this?

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
You'd be wasting your money on the floor and then covering it. My slab was carpeted over the proper moisture resistant pad. That's what I suggest, but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68sting
I've heard a floating floor is better than concrete. My ceilings are just under 8 foot so building a floor wouldn't work. I wondered if I could put down a cheap pergo floating floor and then cover it with carpet. The laminate floors are very thin and wouldn't affect my low ceilings. Any feedback would be great. Also does sound channel have any acoustical benefits or is just for sound proofing? I also noticed a tape that another member put on his studs before drywall. What's the benefit of this?
I think in your situation, I would not bother with the floating floor because of ceiling height issues. Many use a floating floor if the theater is on a main floor or on a second floor.

A main benefit is bass transfer, as you can feel the impact of bass heavy scenes with a floating floor more than concrete.

If that is what you are looking for, than I would suggest bass shakers for those duties.

Craig

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you've got a basement, I would definately consider Dricore panels... solve moisture, sound, and temperature problems all with one product.

·
Registered
635 Posts
FWIW - I put in Dricore and by the time I was done with the Dricore (3/4"), 2 layers of Drywall on a RSIC channel, I had 80" for a ceiling. So I'm under 7' & after having it recently carpeted, I wouldn't do it any other way. If you're interested, there's lots of threads on Dricore (and similar products).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.