AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this thread as a build log of a pairs of Quarks I picked up from diysoundgroup.com The speakers a designed by Jeff Bagby. I already have a set of his Fusion 8's for home theater and my little Helium's speakers need a friend so here we go.

The plan is to take my time and do a good job on these. I recently got some experience with formica when I rebuilt my Sausage Subs so I thought to try veneer. I'm going to veneer the top, sides and bottom's of each speaker. I also found out about this cool flocking process from @popalock and so I plan to flock the baffles with black flocking material. It's supposed to look and feel like suede. I picked up the Movinguni veneer at Rockler. I plan to use contact cement to attach it to my boxes. I then plan to stain it and finish it with tung oil finish. The flocking is easier. You roll on the black glue and shake the stuff on and that's it. Suede finish. I'm open to feedback on this as I have not finished wood like this before and would be grateful for advice and tips on the process I should use.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great work!
I have a pair of these in my kitchen. These things throw up a great image. I think they rival overnight sensations (until they run out of steam).

Reactions: corradizo

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally took the time to properly install these in the bedroom. Love them! The Heliums they replaced are heading to the grage for e future rebuild. Now that I have some more tools I'd like to make make new cabs with veneers.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,836 Posts
How do they sound? I've got a set waiting to be built as surrounds for my living room.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do they sound? I've got a set waiting to be built as surrounds for my living room.
They just disappear and image really nice. You'll be shocked. They do need a sub, I have them crossed at 80hz and they just sound huge. I love little speakers with big sound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts