AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't find any other threads with DIY screen flocking, so here are a few pictures of mine.

I built my screen with SMX material stretched over a wood frame. Next I built a second frame of primed MDF, this is the part I flocked to finish it off.

This is the MDF portion of the frame.

I used glue and biscuits to assemble it.

This is the flocking material , you get the "flocking dust" in the color you want with a color matched adhesive.

Starting the process you can see the adhesive to right and flocked portion to the left. It stated a 10 minute working time, so my wife applied the adhesive while I followed her with the flocking.

The flocking get loaded into the cardboard tubes, it has holes in one end. You pump the tubes and the flocking is pushed out. You need to maintain a constant angle of attack, otherwise it will look like your carpet when the nap has been pushed in opposite directions.

Job complete.

Installed.

It's an easy project. I spent about $50 dollars (I think) on the flocking materials. Thicker adhesive = better job.

Brian

· Registered
1,974 Posts
Brian,

What was the reason for using flocking instead of wrapping with velvet? I assume the seems in the corners are invisible this way? Any other reason? Does the adhesive show up at all? Is the adhesive shining when dry?

Thanks for the tutorial. Any closeups of the corners?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I felt this gives the most professional results. It's the same method used on commercial screens. It creates a single flowing finish. It's soft to the touch, like a suede jacket.

The adhesive does not show through.

Brian

· Registered
894 Posts
After you get done, if you touch the flocking, does it come off on your hand?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffy /forum/post/15416653

After you get done, if you touch the flocking, does it come off on your hand?

You spray on about 10 times more than you need. After it dried I just rubbed back and forth across all the surfaces with the palm of my hand to knock off the excess, then I vacuumed it with a soft brush attachment.

The part embedded in the adhesive doesn't readily come off, well, I'm sure if you tried it would....

Brian

· Registered
622 Posts
Beautiful room! I love the elaborate woodwork. Did you do the woodwork yourself? (The jointer and bandsaw in the background of one of your pics make me ask.)

· Registered
2,144 Posts
Flock the screen- that room is awesome! Love the comet!

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightp /forum/post/15417062

Beautiful room! I love the elaborate woodwork. Did you do the woodwork yourself? (The jointer and bandsaw in the background of one of your pics make me ask.)

No, one of my wife's finish carpenters did all the work. I'm WAY too slow.

Brian

· Registered
862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotsten /forum/post/15423783

No, one of my wifes finish carpenters did all the work. I'm WAY too slow.

Brian

Wow, I can barely handle one wife yet alone multiple wives.

· Registered
122 Posts
Awesome theater !! I think many of us with small kids are used to altering our profanity so our kids dont catch on. When I saw you were "flocking" your screen, I was prepared for the worst ! (of course you must wonder why I even looked)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.