AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to floor mount my NEC-GP5000. Is it feasible or possible to mount the projector BEHIND

the seating area?

All the pictures I've seen show floor mounted projectors in FRONT of the seating area.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

brian

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ive read somewhere that a CRT can be mounted to project onto a mirror and then towards the screen from behind seating area but I can't imagine this being done without loss of light ouput.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have a Sony 1251Q that is mounted on a stainless steel restaurant cart. The cart is stationed behind the couch. The height of the projector lens is approximately 36 inches. The bottom of the screen is mounted on wall at about the same height. The picture is great as the room is small, approximately 12 X 13.

Daniel

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
The distance from the screen to the pj is a function of the width of the screen. They are not positioned simply to be in front of or behind the seating area. For example, my ECP uses 1.5 x screen width or in my case it works out to 138". So where do you want you seating? I it is closer than 138" (in my case) then you would have the pj behind you.

Yes they can be mounted using mirrors, and you use a bit of sharpness (not much) but the type of screen and how it is done, actually makes them brighter. BUT, the screens are redicuously expensive. You're basically making a very nice RPTV.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Bishop

The height of the projector lens is approximately 36 inches. The bottom of the screen is mounted on wall at about the same heightDaniel [/b]
Are you able to sit in front of the projector? I have considered that configuration. I measured about 42 in floor to top of head when sitting and estimated the lens should be, at least, a little above that.

John

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The distance from the screen to the pj is a function of the width of the screen. They are not positioned simply to be in front of or behind the seating area. For example, my ECP uses 1.5 x screen width or in my case it works out to 138". So where do you want you seating? I it is closer than 138" (in my case) then you would have the pj behind you.

i was planning on using a 96"x54" screen for my NEC GP5000. Using your formula, i would have 12' throw.

the sweet spot of my projector in terms of seating, seems to be right at the lens. So, from what your saying, mounting the projector BEHIND the seats seems to be a better idea than mounting the PJ IN FRONT of the seating. it's strange so many people seem to use the latter configuration.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
No, You need to find the formula for YOUR projector...I don't know what it is. The 1.5 x width is for an Ehome ECP.

But, If it works out to 12', and that is the sweet spot (just at the lens) then you would either be on top of the projector, it would be between two seats in teh front row, or you need to ceiling mount it and sit directly underneath it. Then all your other seating would either be in front of the pj, or behind it. How do you want you seating to fall? You see. it's not that a lot of people start out thinking "I want to mount my pj behind my seats." It's more of a here is where the pj has to go, now how do I want my seating around it.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
PLus, if you mount it behind your rear most row of seats, then you have to have an open area to the screen. In other words, you will give up some floor space, and thus seating, because nothing can be in front of the pj. And depending on the other variables, that could cause you to give up quite a few seats.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"PLus, if you mount it behind your rear most row of seats, then you have to have an open area to the screen. In other words, you will give up some floor space, and thus seating, because nothing can be in front of the pj. And depending on the other variables, that could cause you to give up quite a few seats."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Just when i thought i was starting to understand this...okay, if "nothing can be in front of the PJ" then how is it possible to sit between the pj and the screen. Are you saying that if you DO sit in front of the PJ you have to be off to the side? looking at the screen from an angle? That doesn't sound like an optimum place to sit!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Exactly.

If your pj is floor mounted, you cannot sit in front of it, you will block the light/image from being thrown on the screen.You would have to sit off to an angle. Think about it, in all the pics you've seen with it behind the seating, has it ever truly been behind a seat?

Now, if you mount on the ceiling, the sweet spot may be directly below the pj.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.