AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting around to setting up my home theater. Currently have a Sony DN860 Reciever, a A BIC acoustech PL200 sub, and a BIC venturi 2 way center. My last house had ceiling speakers I left behind so I'm the market for some new left and right front floor speakers. What would be the best set for around $500.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Just getting around to setting up my home theater. Currently have a Sony DN860 Reciever, a A BIC acoustech PL200 sub, and a BIC venturi 2 way center. My last house had ceiling speakers I left behind so I'm the market for some new left and right front floor speakers. What would be the best set for around $500.
What % of your usage will be stereo music? What % will be TV/movies?

Which model BIC center is that...the FH6-LCR? Or the DV series center?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably 90% movies 10% Stereo. Center is a DV62CLR-S probably eventually replace it never sounded that great to me.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Probably 90% movies 10% Stereo. Center is a DV62CLR-S probably eventually replace it never sounded that great to me.
That's what I suspected, on both counts.

Your $500 would be much better spent on a pair of bookshelves and a good center speaker.

This is why---sound output distribution during HT/TV viewing, depending on content:

1. Front L/R speakers = 10-20% (theme music and front panning effects)
2. Center speaker = 70-80%
(99% of dialogue, at least 50% of front sound effects and some music)
3. Surrounds (and Atmos speakers) = 5-15% (ambient sounds & spatial effects)

As you can see, the center speaker is the true workhorse/backbone of any HT setup and thus the absolute LAST place you should ever cut corners. Smaller centers (4.5" or smaller woofers) almost always produce tinny voices and often, terrible voice clarity.

$500 would get you the Emotiva C1+ and a pair of B1+ bookshelves.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I recently purchased that same Emotiva combo and I highly recommend it! The C1+ center is outstanding for dialog clarity and i‘ve also really liked it for music when I listen to my small collection of 5.1 music discs.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Guess emotiva it is might just splurge and get the T0s and C1+. My rooms rather large 400sqft with 10ft ceilings.
good call...you only live once! :)

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
That's what I suspected, on both counts.

Your $500 would be much better spent on a pair of bookshelves and a good center speaker.

This is why---sound output distribution during HT/TV viewing, depending on content:

1. Front L/R speakers = 10-20% (theme music and front panning effects)
2. Center speaker = 70-80%
(99% of dialogue, at least 50% of front sound effects and some music)
3. Surrounds (and Atmos speakers) = 5-15% (ambient sounds & spatial effects)

As you can see, the center speaker is the true workhorse/backbone of any HT setup and thus the absolute LAST place you should ever cut corners. Smaller centers (4.5" or smaller woofers) almost always produce tinny voices and often, terrible voice clarity.

$500 would get you the Emotiva C1+ and a pair of B1+ bookshelves.
^^^ This!
It's the absolute best bang for buck with your budget! You can always move the B1's to surround duty later if you want to add towers, Though the money would be better spent on an HSU sub.

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Figured I'll ask before I hit the order button there arent any coupons available or sales coming up in oct. Thought I saw somewhere that they quit doing sales.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Figured I'll ask before I hit the order button there arent any coupons available or sales coming up in oct. Thought I saw somewhere that they quit doing sales.
Haven't heard of any for a while, not since BF and Christmas last year...with pandemic shortages I'd be surprised if they came back any time soon. Ask on the Emotiva Owners' Thread.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen... lol

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
You know, all things considered, that C1+ centre speaker doesn't actually look all that huge.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
You know, all things considered, that C1+ centre speaker doesn't actually look all that huge.
It's not. The C2+ is the huge one.

Reactions: Vikram Iyengar

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Little further along
You know, you actually have room to put a 3rd T-Zero or a single T1 or T2 right under the TV as your center. Call or email Emotiva, I think I've heard of other people being able to buy a single from them. Using one of those towers as your center would be well worth the trouble---more output, bigger sound than the C1+ and you'll definitely notice it since the center channel does 70-80% of the output.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts