AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help, I'm a child lost in the woods! I'm working on updating my setup. I'm around 75% movies & 25% music. The TV is a Sammy 52N750, old NAD receiver (which I'm going to replace with Onkyo 607 or707 - or any suggestions appreciated). Right now I've got JBL LT80 speakers. To this I've added the PL-200 (it added alot). I've been away from the hobby for a long time, finally a empty nester and have a little money again. A big question, (I've been reading here and elsewhere for months) with this sub do I need to get floor speakers with much for the heavy woofer type speaker?? Would a Polk Monitor 60 type with 2 mid woofers do a good job or is the Monitor 70 for only a few bucks more the way to go? Budget is $400-$500ish and have been eyeing the Infinity P362's or the Polk's or used JBL ES80 or 90's?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know a person should listen to any speakers somewhere. I'm in a rural area and 150 miles from a good showroom. I prefer a more pure realistic sound (crisp) for my worn out eardrums. So, this thread is my next step in the journey of a thousand miles. (I know, its melodramatic, chuckle)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
With a subwoofer, you can get by with just bookshelf. How many speakers are you planning to get? 2.1, 3.1, 5.1 system?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If you can find the Infinity P362 for a good price, go for it. I have enjoy my P362 on my tv system. Too bad you don't live near Frys, they go on sale more often than any other stores I have seen.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hey,

Speakers have 'signature' sound. What kind of 'sound' are you looking for?

Here are some examples of how to describe what you want to hear:

The one area that people usually believe their "sound quality" comes from and why I think people think different speakers sound 'best' has to do with the character of the sound of tweeters. Which type of tweeter do you like? "Bright"? "Laid back"? "Smooth"? "Dry"? "Metallic"? Or a combination of them?

Another area of note is to know what kind of experience you are looking for. The term for this is usually referred to as "Dynamic Range" or "dynamics". Speakers run the gamut from "quiet, ambient sound" to "wall shaking capability". Which do you prefer?

One more area of note is knowing what the overall "tone" or "character" of the speakers produce. Do you want a "bass heavy" or "chesty" sounding speaker system? Do you want a "balanced" system? Do you want a very midrange focused "neutral" system? Do you want a very "ambient" (sound everywhere) system? Do you want a "focused" system (you can pinpoint the point source direction of the sound)?

Very good (usually expensive) speakers are supposed do a blend of many things well. Usually bringing out the perfect combination of sound will involve putting the speaker in the "perfect room". When the "perfect room" meets a speaker that matches the character you like to hear, the resulting experience is what audio lovers are all after. That 'nirvana' sound. I myself am eventually wanting to put together or "find" a system that has good Dynamics (but just short of shaking the walls) / Slightly Bright on the tweeters (yet as smooth as possible with NO metallic sound)/ the overall character of the speakers is a "natural" or "real/you are there" sound with a light amount of "ambience" and just enough "focus" to hear most of the mix in the original recording.

So, there are some great examples on how to describe the 'sound' you are after.

Do you want Loud, bright, dynamic (large volume swings from soft to train wreck loud)? Do you want a dynamic, bass heavy, yet focused sound?

These descriptions will help people who know their speakers to give you good suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So many ideas and me with not much knowledge!!!

Timothy91, I'm after the same sound you speak of in your search for perfection. Though I do like to be shaken to my bones by heavy action sounds in the movies. Isn't that the job of the sub? Or by trying to do both music and movies on the same setup asking for the impossible?

When you mention the more expensive speakers,what kind of bucks are you getting into? I WANT IT ALL!! There I said it, I feel better but know that's impossible. Any ideas?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Dirtsurfer, you can't go wrong with the Infinity speakers. I have some and I could heartily recommend them. Something else you could check out is the other towers from BIC Acoustech, the PL-89 and PL76 . Those look to be very powerful tower speakers. Also look at the Klipsch F2 , another powerful speaker which fits your budget. Other speakers I would look at is the Elemental Designs A6-6T6 , and the EMP E5Ti .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts