AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have Paradigm Studio 100 v3/CC-570 speakers, been very pleased for several years.

I am in the process of setting up a projector with an SMX AT screen. Anyone have experience putting a floor standing speaker like this on a platform several feet off the floor? It would allow me to put the entire speaker within the footprint of the screen.

These things are heavy, to get them angled down so the tweeter is not firing along the ceiling will require some work. Far from trivial to try it out, but that may be what needs to be done.

Anyone done this rather than putting AT material below the screen and leaving them on the floor?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Have you thought of putting them in upside down? Just a thought, I don't even know if they would stand that way.

Best Regards,

Doug

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,743 Posts
I've wondered the same thing as I contemplate an AT screen. I've got B&W 804's and they won't go upside down, well, not without heroic efforts. I could lay them on their side I guess, tweeters toward middle, but I bet their dispertion angles would be hosed like that. Hate to get new speakers. Makes me want to stand these out to the side (in front)...

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
I've got my mains on about 1 foot stands behind my SMX screen. Basically just high enough to get the drivers within the screen area. Seems to work just fine.

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,743 Posts
The problem with my B&W's is the tweeters are literally on top of the cabinets. So if I raise them to where the bottom driver clears the frame, the tweeters will be really high.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Maybe have another acoustically transparent surface (fabric of a dark color ) under teh screen and have the speaker stand right-side up behind them both.

Also, you could build an upside down stand for the speakers, if you wanted to.

For example, if you got/made a small table whose legs were just in the right spots, I bet you could set it on top of the speaker. turn that upside down, and make some additional improvements to make it sufficiently sturdy, and there you go.

Might also want something to secure the top ( was the base) of the speaker.

Could also incorporate some clamping devices or straps (possibly ratcheting, like the tie downs used in a pickup truck) to secure it to a stand of some sort, in combination with an "upside down table with the legs in just the right spots"

It could be done, just a matter of whether it would be worth it or sound right upside down, I would think.

I plan on having my Newform Research R645's behind an AT screen. But I think that the drivers will all be high enough to be behind the screen. Everything behind the screen is black, carpet on stage, Gom and Duvetyne on walls, etc. So I think the base of the speakers will just blend in.

Best Regards,

Doug

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I just posted almost the same question a couple days ago. I have the same problem. M80's as mains and an M60 for the center, which will be going behind the screen. If I raise them up where the woofers will clear, it puts the tweet way too high.

Angling them down won't work for the same reasons toeing in won't with AT.

In my case I am going to have to leave them on the ground and will have to live with 1/2 each of two of the woofers being partially blocked by the 3" screen trim. According to Axiom, and I'm sure Paradigm would concur, having a small obstruction in front of them is not going to make a whole lot of difference in the overall sound.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
These weigh about 75lbs a piece.You just have to make sure you hit all the studs across the shelf anchor. I'm looking to raise them up a bit. I think they will match the voices on the screen better if i get them about the 2/3rd point of the screen height.

You are going to love the SMX AT material.I'm only doing a 720p PJ and it looks sweet.Good luck.

KG

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The only difference is, those are designed to be mounted horizontally whereas a tower speaker is built around a vertical placement. You get much better dispersion vertically mounting as well, as opposed to an MTM placement.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am also presuming that the floor reflection is part of the bass tuning, which will be absent if the speaker is raised a couple of feet.

As for mounting inverted, these things weigh 70 or so pounds and the top is not flat, not impossible to do but not easy. It would also likely mar the finish on the top at a minimum which would preclude normal position use or resale.

I think this will go in the will have to try and see category.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph /forum/post/12953593

Probably the best route is instead of using a framed screen, use just the AT fabric and AT border and perhaps velcro and a fake-wall in front of the speakers using black AT material to fill in all the gaps.

So what do you propose attaching the AT screen to? I have conceded to the fact that I am going to have the woofers partially blocked by the screen framing. I called Axiom and they stated this would be a minimal issue. Here is my setup thus far and I assume Video's is similar. Excuse the current mess.

·
Registered
390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_bit_bucket /forum/post/12853810

So I have Paradigm Studio 100 v3/CC-570 speakers, been very pleased for several years.

I am in the process of setting up a projector with an SMX AT screen. Anyone have experience putting a floor standing speaker like this on a platform several feet off the floor? It would allow me to put the entire speaker within the footprint of the screen.

These things are heavy, to get them angled down so the tweeter is not firing along the ceiling will require some work. Far from trivial to try it out, but that may be what needs to be done.

Anyone done this rather than putting AT material below the screen and leaving them on the floor?

Angling down a Studio 100 implies that you are lifting it off the floor and suspending it in some fashion at which point you are lifting it off the floor boundary and robbing the speaker of a lot of its bass capabilities. You'd be better off getting Studio 40s to get your angle for best imaging and staging and getting a couple Servo-15s to get kick-butt bass.

·
Registered
559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict /forum/post/12955911

So what do you propose attaching the AT screen to? I have conceded to the fact that I am going to have the woofers partially blocked by the screen framing. I called Axiom and they stated this would be a minimal issue. Here is my setup thus far and I assume Video's is similar. Excuse the current mess.

That SUB is MENACING!!!!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
You build an acoustically transparent screen wall to house the screen and mount them in traditional fashion.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches /forum/post/13070489

You build an acoustically transparent screen wall to house the screen and mount them in traditional fashion.

John, are you referring to a sound treated baffle wall behind the screen here?

Also, screen height/width pending, there is no reason that these speakers have to be floor standing. They could be inverted and raised (keeping tweeters at seated ear height) on stands so that all drivers are behind the fabrc and not firing through the frame...

Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts