AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting construction on my first HT this weekend. I like the idea of having a "clean" look on the screen wall. I'm on a budget and can't afford an acousticly transparent screen at this time so i had an idea to build my tower speakers into columns/cabinets next to the screen. The fronts of the columns would be hinged and i would have speaker fabric built around a framed door. These columns will meet up with my soffit.

Do you think this is a good idea? Will having the speakers inside a cabinet adversely affect the acoustics?

My speakers are an older set of polk RT800i
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...00i/?reviews=1

I've attached a sketchup of what i'm thinking, take a look.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am currently planning the same exact thing. I don't see how it would be any different than any other speaker behind an AT fabric. I am going for it. But, it would be interesting to see if anyone has any experiences or thoughts on the subject.

Thanks.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 /forum/post/20800922

Do you think this is a good idea? Will having the speakers inside a cabinet adversely affect the acoustics?

NO, YES

Instead of a cabinet think about a skeletal frame wrapped in acoustically transparent fabric. Same look, less impact on the acoustics. Also check out BritinVA's design for screen wall.

·
Registered
53 Posts
in cabinet would be a big no if your speakers are rear ported if they are front ports then it is ok. However skeleton frames with speakers cloth is the way to go. I am doing the same thing as bigmouthinDC. but I put my centre above the screen. didn't have the gut to start a thread yet since I don't know how long it would take me with a 2 year old always by my side.

I am copying this one

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=897055

he has speakers inside frames as well

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdong /forum/post/20801516

in cabinet would be a big no if your speakers are rear ported if they are front ports then it is ok. However skeleton frames with speakers cloth is the way to go. I am doing the same thing as bigmouthinDC. but I put my centre above the screen. didn't have the gut to start a thread yet since I don't know how long it would take me with a 2 year old always by my side.

I am copying this one

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=897055

he has speakers inside frames as well

My speakers are actually ported on the bottom of the speaker. However this is mainly for the bass in a two channel setup, since my sub will handle most of the low frequency work load i'm going to give it a shot. The simple frame looks like the way to go.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
If you cant afford the AT screen, and you do put your towers the sides of the screen...what about your center channel? You'd have to go above or below, which is also less than ideal...

AT screen material is not that expensive, i believe the going rate for seymour av XD materials is $20 a lineal ft. and he still has some of the old center stage material for $12 a lineal foot. So unless you are planning for an absolutely enormous screen, you are probably looking at less than 300 bucks for your screen material, to me...it might be worth the wait to just get the material you want.

Or if you are impatient like me, you could also do what I did....if you aren't picky. I spent a good deal of time at Joanns (getting funny looks mind you) comparing fabrics to my sample of XD material and blowing through them. (generally the easier air passes through a fabric the more AT it is.) Long story short, with my 50% coupon i got my screen material for 25 bucks.

No one has ever mentioned that my theater sounds bad. I can tell the difference, just because im really familiar with out my speakers sound, but even with cheap fabric they sound find, they've just lost a little sparkle.

As far as PQ goes, Its fine as well. You could pick out the difference in a side by side comparison...but again i spent $25.

When I have the extra cash for the screen material all i have to do is rip the old stuff off and put the new on. It will probably take me less than 1.5 hours.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman /forum/post/20801921

AT screen material is not that expensive, i believe the going rate for seymour av XD materials is $20 a lineal ft. and he still has some of the old center stage material for $12 a lineal foot. So unless you are planning for an absolutely enormous screen, you are probably looking at less than 300 bucks for your screen material, to me...it might be worth the wait to just get the material you want.

+1 - don't know your screen budget of course, but there are reasonably priced alternatives for AT screens. I used a Jamestown screen frame ($300) and Seymour A/V CenterStage XD material ($300), so total of $600. Or you can build your own frame, and use the "closeout" Seymour AT material for even less.

·
Registered
11,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20802724

+1 - don't know your screen budget of course, but there are reasonably priced alternatives for AT screens. I used a Jamestown screen frame ($300) and Seymour A/V CenterStage XD material ($300), so total of $600. Or you can build your own frame, and use the "closeout" Seymour AT material for even less.

+3. There may be some speakers that are good for cabinet usage, but I would be concerned. In my last media room I made some compromises and did not do an AT screen and ended up with one of my speakers really close to the wall (about 3" in front and 3" to the right of the wall) and I noticed a difference just pulling the speaker away from the wall another 3"+.

For my new media room (in progress) I am 100% going with an AT screen (mostly likely Seymour Centerstage XD) and speakers behind the screen. This allows me to go with a vertical center channel speaker vs a horizontal which offers better imaging. Having them behind the screen also keeps the kids (I have 3 kids 6 and under) away from the speakers (which was an issue with the last house).

Also going with an AT screen opens up lots more speaker options in the future. You are not limited to size or aesthetics.

·
Registered
11,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 /forum/post/20802966

I didn't even think to build my own screen. I was looking at the da-lite 106" perm wall cinema vision which would probably run $600-700 anyways. Sounds like i could build a DIY screen with AT material for around the same price

If you build the frame yourself out of wood and velvet (for border) there are plenty of guides and you should come in under $400 easy.

This is what I am doing.

Chris at SeymourAV is great. Make sure you get the screen cut at the max tilt possible to avoid any moire issues with AT screen material. Costs slightly more (no pun intended), but is 100% worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts