AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to audio setups though slowly learning from all of the great posts here. In my current TV setup my TV stand spans the entire length of the wall the TV is on and I was wondering if it was ok to place floor standing speakers on top of the TV stand with the TV? There were several items I was unsure about in doing this?

1. Does the audio quality degrade being on the TV stand rather than the floor? Can you insulate the speakers from the stand with some sort of material?

2. Is there an issue with how close the speakers are to the TV? If they are right next to the TV on either side will there be any issues?

3. There would be a wall very close to the side of each speaker (the non TV side). Would there be a significant reduction in audio quality also because of this? Is there a distance the speakers should be from side walls?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpagger1 /forum/post/19520660

Hi all,

I'm new to audio setups though slowly learning from all of the great posts here. In my current TV setup my TV stand spans the entire length of the wall the TV is on and I was wondering if it was ok to place floor standing speakers on top of the TV stand with the TV?

Right position of a speaker is when tweeter is at height of a head of listener. If you put floorstanders on stand, they will be much higher. If you are going to use your speakers for music, you also better have them further apart than width of your TV.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Are the speakers ported? If so front or rear port? Tweeters should be ear level. Speakers should be away from side walls and about 30degrees apart from listening position.

If they are ported in the back then you will get better sound if they are a little ways away from the back wall.

This applies to most speakers with few exceptions not just towers.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpagger1 /forum/post/19520660

2. Is there an issue with how close the speakers are to the TV? If they are right next to the TV on either side will there be any issues?

No, as long as the TV's not a CRT (and if it is, it'd still be okay, as long as the speakers were magnetically shielded).

·
Registered
6,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/19520709

Right position of a speaker is when tweeter is at height of a head of listener. If you put floorstanders on stand, they will be much higher. If you are going to use your speakers for music, you also better have them further apart than width of your TV.

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-heat /forum/post/19520807

Are the speakers ported? If so front or rear port? Tweeters should be ear level. Speakers should be away from side walls and about 30degrees apart from listening position.

If they are ported in the back then you will get better sound if they are a little ways away from the back wall.

This applies to most speakers with few exceptions not just towers.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/19522170

No, as long as the TV's not a CRT (and if it is, it'd still be okay, as long as the speakers were magnetically shielded).

+1.

I would honestly suggest perhaps looking at a nice set of bookshelf speakers instead. You could purchase or make stands that would make them ear level for you and you should be fine.

Just my .02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.